Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
Omar,

I do not hold with many conspiracy theories and in this case find it hard to imagine even the most deluded Pakistani Army officer would do this thinking it helped the causes of the Army, even ISI.

...After the UN suicide bomber attack in Islamabad, reportedly by a Frontier Corps dressed individual, it is time for Pakistan and others to re-think their most vulnerable targets.

davidbfpo
I dont hold with the conspiracy theory either, maybe that was not clear from my post. About target selection, I think the number of possible high impact targets is so great that just increasing security at particular sites is not going to work (though its important in its own place). The real issue is to go after the heads of the network. Spontaneous jihadis are an overrated threat, the only serious threat is from organized networks. These are professionals, they have all been trained using the same CIA field manual the UNiversity of Nebraska so helpfully translated into Urdu and Pushto. If the Pakistani army actually manages to attack them in Waziristan, their effectiveness will decrease and new recruitment in Pakistan will become much harder for them. Without a base, they will gradually be wiped out, with a base they can always find replacements for any particular individual who is knocked out.