As a US citizen, I know that lack of understanding has damaged my nation and cost us considerable "treasure and blood," as the blogs say. It continues to do so, for example, as we justify the use of drones in part because we think we have no other choice. This is ignorance. (My own metric for my security services is number married into tribal families. It's the best way ). So I think it's vital for those with policy, operational, or other influential roles in Afghanistan and Pakistan to understand the context to the fullest extent possible. Thankfully (finally), my senior-most leaders recognize and are putting enormous effort into addressing this.

Perhaps we agree up to this point, with the possible exception of the marriage metric?

Now, onto the film. It's a simple one (I doubt it will launch into the financial big time, but not my concern). It won't make a massive difference. But it's accessible and local, where we have so few resources. With a fair number of years in war zones, I've learned to be open to as many sources of information and learning as possible and to challenge my own assumptions (danger things, assumptions). This has stood me in good stead working with the people of Logar, Khost, and North Waziristan. Like learning that three cups of tea are essential in a part of the world that poses a mortal threat, there can be value in watching a family come to grips with a kid who wants an education instead of making guns. This is consistent with my interactions with many in the region.

…By the way, some of the other resources we rely on are quite inadequate. And this one probably cost us taxpayers a lot. http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/worl...0927-g7r5.html

...The American reads the critical paragraphs from the computer: "The Zadran have been written up as a small tribe, but they are the biggest in the south-east. Their manners resemble the Waziris [who straddle the nearby border with Pakistan] and the Kharotis [also concentrated in the east], from which we may infer that they are utter savages. They live in small villages … they are great robbers and their country was a refuge for bad characters."

Anyway, enough ink expended – I agree that SWJ denizens have more important things to do.