Thread: Asymmetric Policing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Out front from the past (Part 2)

Returning to 'Chaos Country' after some thought.

How mobile is the local population, how many live in urban settlements, roads and an endless list. Mapping human geography is important and something police officers learn slowly. Provide maps and teach how to read them. Not just stick pins in, although that can be valuable.

What level of person communication is used? Phone at one point were rare, then landline phones arrived - not for mass use and now mass use of mobile phones can be anticipated. Examples: Liberia, Somalia and Afghanistan. Mass communication can change very quickly.

Where and how do the police interact with the local population (different from the travelling communities e.g. truck drivers at roadblocks)? Often and a legacy from colonial times the police were the only adminstrative agency, from Ireland to Rhodesia i.e. inspection, registration and permit granting. Note for many years the police in Mogadishu remained respected.

What level of violence is traditionally used in conflict resolution? Touched upon in the Gendarmerie thread. In Rhodesia the BSAP were largely un-armed for a long period. Is evidence gathering used or just brute force?

Are there courts, let alone prisons? Well covered in JMM's posts and elsewhere IIRC. Even cells for arrested suspects.

With all these factors and different national, indeed international policing standards it is important in 'Chaos Country' to discard some and rapidly bring in others. Clearly robust digital cameras and mobile phones come to the fore.

Now back to my home country.

davidbfpo

I had an idea once that the first day of any police academy should be spent playing the game CLUE. It really does teach the basics, you have a crime scene map, the tools/weapons/suspects and your notebook.....now go solve the crime! Link below of the game,take a look at the pictures of how the game was adapted and at how many languages it comes in. Because it is a board game (visual and has physical pieces) a person does not have to be that literate to get the basic idea of the process. Something to think about anyway.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/...me/1294/page/1

Council Member

Default At least, Slap, you have a clue ....

but I forgot about Clue. We (several of us) used to play it in the mid-50s (of the last century ). It would be a good teaching aid.

My paralegal has a Clue set, a Clue Jr set, and a criminal justice degree. She will take on teaching assignments on a contractual basis. Terms to be negotiated - foreign travel to be restricted to "secure sites".

She is looking for a good lawyer to represent her in the negotiations. Any recommendations ?

Mike

PS: she agrees that Clue can be handled by a literacy-challenged person.

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    but I forgot about Clue. We (several of us) used to play it in the mid-50s (of the last century ). It would be a good teaching aid.

My paralegal has a Clue set, a Clue Jr set, and a criminal justice degree. She will take on teaching assignments on a contractual basis. Terms to be negotiated - foreign travel to be restricted to "secure sites".

She is looking for a good lawyer to represent her in the negotiations. Any recommendations ?

Mike

PS: she agrees that Clue can be handled by a literacy-challenged person.
    Lawyers and Money......geeez

Council Member

Time to relearn all I forgot in 3 years lol