OftheTroops cited:
What i believe it means is like asymmetric warfare applying low-tech solutions to complex problems? My experience was using whistles in place of radios and maps instead of complex computer tracking. I may be on the wrong track but I think it is an interesting topic of discussion that could go many places. Given that most places in the western world (technology dependent) provides assistance to post-conflict nations (technology resistant), asymmetric solutions are a key to success.
A good point and recent experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan - some reflected in a variety of threads here - from this armchair should add to the very poor, police knowledge base on assisting non-Western partners. It is simply not written down or published, so has to be re-learnt. Official, state programmes invariably start with Security Sector Reform (SSR) and de-militarisation. Or we have the much criticised German assistance to the ANP, which now appears to have been "lost" and replaced by a US effort.

Years ago when I did look at this police aspect I found that two Western nations stood out: the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

Much of the international effort is aimed at strategy and senior management. Plus some training, e.g. Belgain input to public order / riot control training in South Africa. Rarely does anything appear to end at the bottom or frontline.

It might be worth trying to find reports etc on how the assistance given in Kosovo and East Timor has worked. There are plenty of other places to look, but as the two cases involved the UN maybe easier to find information, but not personal reflections.

davidbfpo