Thread: Asymmetric Policing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Asymmetric Policing

Among this group of scholars and researchers I though would be a great place to ask opinions of Asymmetric policing. What i believe it means is like asymmetric warfare applying low-tech solutions to complex problems? My experience was using whistles in place of radios and maps instead of complex computer tracking. I may be on the wrong track but I think it is an interesting topic of discussion that could go many places. Given that most places in the western world (technology dependent) provides assistance to post-conflict nations (technology resistant), asymmetric solutions are a key to success.
    So any discussion, historical examples, or other points of interest would be greatly appreciated.

Council Member

Default From a dumb lawyer...

who never heard of or saw the phrase "asymmetric policing" before your post. Anyway, I Googled the phrase and came up with Stephen L. Mallory, The Concept of Asymmetric Policing. Since there are a number of real law enforcement people here, I hand off to them for comment.

You come up with interesting topics - I thought MPs were supposed to be dull, etc.

Seriously, my dad's slightly older brother was one on Okinawa in WWII. His best story was about when he had to arrest one of his best friends from our hometown (after the guy broke his 1SG's wrist). So, the poke wasn't serious - Uncle Mac was far from dull.

Cheers

Mike

Assymetric Policing:

fist--use a club

club--use a bigger club

knife--use a gun

gun--many guns

many guns--National Guard (never forget the Air National Guard)

How am I doing, Slap?

Tom

Default Asymmetric solutions aka KISS?

OftheTroops cited:
    What i believe it means is like asymmetric warfare applying low-tech solutions to complex problems? My experience was using whistles in place of radios and maps instead of complex computer tracking. I may be on the wrong track but I think it is an interesting topic of discussion that could go many places. Given that most places in the western world (technology dependent) provides assistance to post-conflict nations (technology resistant), asymmetric solutions are a key to success.
    A good point and recent experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan - some reflected in a variety of threads here - from this armchair should add to the very poor, police knowledge base on assisting non-Western partners. It is simply not written down or published, so has to be re-learnt. Official, state programmes invariably start with Security Sector Reform (SSR) and de-militarisation. Or we have the much criticised German assistance to the ANP, which now appears to have been "lost" and replaced by a US effort.

Years ago when I did look at this police aspect I found that two Western nations stood out: the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

Much of the international effort is aimed at strategy and senior management. Plus some training, e.g. Belgain input to public order / riot control training in South Africa. Rarely does anything appear to end at the bottom or frontline.

It might be worth trying to find reports etc on how the assistance given in Kosovo and East Timor has worked. There are plenty of other places to look, but as the two cases involved the UN maybe easier to find information, but not personal reflections.

davidbfpo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Assymetric Policing:

fist--use a club

club--use a bigger club

knife--use a gun

gun--many guns

many guns--National Guard (never forget the Air National Guard)

How am I doing, Slap?

Tom
    Tom, you got it man. You should be able to get one of those Multi-Million Dollar Police adviser contracts......no, wait you have to be a motivational speaker too

OfTheTroops,
    1-On the low tech end teaching officers to use their notebook and pen and a good 3X5 card index system has probably solved more crimes than anything. In the computer age I think we have lost that essential skill.
    2-From where you are located you may want to research the fact that for a brief time there was a Special Forces MP unit that existed.
    3-As David mentioned Police departments in general do not have a lessons learned capability. Much of what I learned(the good stuff anyway) was passed down to me from older officers almost like an apprenticeship method. I often thought we needed a Field Manual System like the Military that could be distributed and updated in the same way to Police Departments All across the country.
    4-Teaching Police how to do a 5 Rings analysis or ASCOPE analysis with pen and paper would have a lot of benefit, doing it by hand in the field teaches the Police/COIN thinking methodology. I used to do my stuff with a crime scene/traffic accident template. I guess they still make those. It is visual method of crime/problem solving in general.

More as I think of it.
    Also what does PTT stand for? It is in your Bio?

Council Member

Default Slapout is out front

PTT= Police Transition Team or PMT= Police Mentor Team

Our police advisors often get hung up on the lack of technological capabilities or just do not know how it was done before. ( Before formflow, pure edge, Computers in patrol cars, computers in their pockets) Not knowing how we did it before we say "these guys are backwards because they keep there records in binders and not on some god-awful database." I was taught that the officer's most powerful tool is his observations and his notebook but I do not know the "fieldcraft" that you mentioned or the most effective/ commonly used gap stoppers. I now feel like my dad should tell me, "Well go look it up." And I will eventually.... Just thought you guys might have some leads and I think it is an interesting and relevant discussion.