Thread: Light Infantry and Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Doctrine is a guide, no more.

It is written by people in heated and air conditioned offices who may once have done a few things -- or not -- but whose guiding light is to make their boss happy. Everyone should be aware of the doctrine so that it can be intelligently modified as needed.

A hasty ambush is any ambush that was not planned and rehearsed on similar ground.

I'd also point out that the action described in the article meets your quote; the Platoon as you earlier pointed out had established a defensive position, that got converted into an 'ambush' (actually, a sort of ambush but so called by sloppy doctrinal and media interpretation). Sounds hasty to me...

As for this:
    What would I do without you Ken ;-)
    Your own research and searches???

It'd also help keep Fuchs off my back...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    It is written by people in heated and air conditioned offices who may once have done a few things -- or not -- but whose guiding light is to make their boss happy. Everyone should be aware of the doctrine so that it can be intelligently modified as needed.

A hasty ambush is any ambush that was not planned and rehearsed on similar ground.

I'd also point out that the action described in the article meets your quote; the Platoon as you earlier pointed out had established a defensive position, that got converted into an 'ambush' (actually, a sort of ambush but so called by sloppy doctrinal and media interpretation). Sounds hasty to me...

As for this:Your own research and searches???

It'd also help keep Fuchs off my back...

Oh dear. It seems that when confronted with the facts you would rather throw the manual out the window than accept that you were out on the definition. Sad.

...oh, and the personal stuff Ken, its water off a ducks back.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    Oh dear. It seems that when confronted with the facts you would rather throw the manual out the window than accept that you were out on the definition. Sad.

...oh, and the personal stuff Ken, its water off a ducks back.
    Which "facts" did you confront him with? A single source media report? Really? That's what you've got to "confront" a man with 20+ years and two wars worth of experience? Arrogance and disrespect aren't helping you make your point.
    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett

Default Nah. He confronted me with the Book. I've had lost

Lieutenants confronting me with books for over 50 years.

Generally without thinking about what the books say and what really happens on the ground. Or realizing they're only embarrassing themselves.

Banned

Lieutenants confronting me with books for over 50 years.

Generally without thinking about what the books say and what really happens on the ground. Or realizing they're only embarrassing themselves.
    Perhaps you were a lieutenant once yourself. I remember the lessons I learned as a lieutenant as much as I did later.

Ken, I am starting to find this hilarious. You make a minor error over a definition and then just can't find it in you to say oops, yes I slipped up there.

Default Yes, you can engender that. You are that...

Ken, I am starting to find this hilarious. You make a minor error over a definition and then just can't find it in you to say oops, yes I slipped up there.
    I cheerfully admit errors; I ordinarily do not acknowledge pedantic corrections and two cent 'gotcha' as errors if they are insignificant -- and this one is all that...
    Perhaps you were a lieutenant once yourself. I remember the lessons I learned as a lieutenant as much as I did later.
    Er, no, I was never a Lieutenant. I always worked for a living.

Trained a bunch, the majority who went to be successful Colonels and above. Then I worked for the Army as a civilian trainer, 45 years all told; that's called masochism.

Ok, folks. Let's all take a deep breath, have some more coffee (or whatever your beverage of choice is for your current time zone), and cut back on the snarkiness (bitchiness and sniping for those who don't often use the term). There's intelligent discussion to be had here if we take a moment to find it again.

Thanks.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Banned

I cheerfully admit errors; I ordinarily do not acknowledge pedantic corrections and two cent 'gotcha' as errors if they are insignificant -- and this one is all that...Er, no, I was never a Lieutenant. I always worked for a living.

Trained a bunch, the majority who went to be successful Colonels and above. Then I worked for the Army as a civilian trainer, 45 years all told; that's called masochism.
    OK gotcha... did you ever get to do any operational para jumps?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    Which "facts" did you confront him with? A single source media report? Really? That's what you've got to "confront" a man with 20+ years and two wars worth of experience? Arrogance and disrespect aren't helping you make your point.
    Excuse me.

This matter is purely in relation to what is a "hasty ambush". There is nothing in that article to support his position and when the definition further proved him to be in error he just threw the manual out the window.

But... that article is an absolute gem of information about the quality of that particular units soldiering. Now you can respond in two ways. Blame everything on the reporter or say, hey, we need to look a little deeper into this matter, we have some work to do.

Excuse me.

This matter is purely in relation to what is a "hasty ambush". There is nothing in that article to support his position and when the definition further proved him to be in error he just threw the manual out the window.

But... that article is an absolute gem of information about the quality of that particular units soldiering. Now you can respond in two ways. Blame everything on the reporter or say, hey, we need to look a little deeper into this matter, we have some work to do.
    Naw, it's about as prolific as a commentator telling a quarterback that he just needs to score more touchdowns in order to win the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Naw, it's about as prolific as a commentator telling a quarterback that he just needs to score more touchdowns in order to win the game.
    Prolific?

Prolific?
    Prolific- highly productive. Producing ideas or works frequently in large quantities.

Synonyms- Productive, creative, inexhaustible, fertile, fruitful

Antonyms- unproductive