Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sikhs and U.S. Army Standards for Uniform and Appearance

Council Member

Default at schmedlap

I read that whole thread. Obviously, I agree with you and Brandon Friedman about the awfulness of US Army supply and the inadequacy of interpreters. I thought it is controversial to bring up sexual preference when it involves soldiers.

Council Member

I recall paperwork from the early to mid 70's that had something about headgear and underwear for Sikhs.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I think that guy was in charge of the dining facility entry control point at COB Speicher when I was there during OIF V. It was easier to get a foreign national into division HQ than to get a mildly dirty uniform into the dining facility (God forbid they didn't have their reflective belt).
    It is also worth noting that the Sikh doctor got approval to wear his turban and beard. He did NOT get approval go without a reflective belt. That would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I am not personally against allowing the Sikh's being allowed to wear their turbans as a general rule. As an SF guy, uniformity is not particularly important to me . The problem I do see, however, is not that a few Sikhs may be allowed to wear their turbans but that there would immediately be huge numbers of others clambering for their right to wear this that or the other thing. If the Army were to open this box a little then you can all but guarantee that the courts will open it a whole lot more.

SFC W
    That's exactly the problem as I see it.

On another note: With all respect to the SF world and its special situation, I (hyper-capitalist, fanatical individualist) must agree with Patton when it comes to general purpose forces:

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team."

Was there once too much emphasis on spit and polish in the Army? As an incurable slob, I say, "Boy, howdy!"

However, there is real, tangible value in uniformity, especially among 18-24 year old Soldiers.
    There are three kinds of people in this world:
    Those who can count, and those who can't.

It is also worth noting that the Sikh doctor got approval to wear his turban and beard. He did NOT get approval go without a reflective belt. That would be too much.
    I think I need to start the No-Glowbelt Church.