Some thoughts.

First of all I am sure most here have heard (read) me lament the cultural and professional gaps between Defense and other agencies (but in particular State) when it comes to larger strategy and security planning. The creation of a civilian response corps is supposed to help address what I would call the lack of an expeditionary mindset among my fellow civilian travelers, regardless of agency.

Deployment on a PRT or as a civilian with a unit is not just another posting to another embassy. It is voluntary on the front end; it is not voluntary in the middle. The bottom line in places like Iraq or Afghanistan or other garden spots is this: when you take the King's coin, you do the King's bidding until your tour is done. Barring medical condition or injury, you serve your tour. Otherwise those around you cannot count on you. If you cannot do that, don't take the coin.

From the above, resignation couched in the name of others or against a policy (or both) is quitting. You just quit. Period. Those whom you cite as your justification did not quit. To begin with, they can't and in 99.9% of the cases, they would not if they could because of the folks around them. Citing them as a reason only serves your decision to quit.

If at the end of your tour, you still feel the policy is untenable, the strategy is broke, or whatever, then resign. Go public if you wish. Your call. I will salute your moral stance and understand where you are coming from. But don't take the King's coin and then quit because the King's men and women depend on one another.

Tom