Thread: First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First U.S. Official Resigns Over Afghan War

I know the SWJ blog mention this today, but I thought it was worth talking about.

State Dept. diplomat, former Marine, resigns in protest of the war in Afghanistan.

FULL STORY

WASHINGTON -- A former Marine who fought in Iraq, joined the State Department after leaving the military and was a diplomat in a Taliban stronghold in Afghanistan has become the first U.S. official to resign in protest of the Afghan war, the Washington Post reported early Tuesday.

Matthew Hoh, who describes himself as "not some peacenik, pot-smoking hippie who wants everyone to be in love," said he believes the war is simply fueling the insurgency.

"I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," Hoh wrote in his resignation letter, dated Sept. 10 but published early Tuesday. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."
    Hoh's resignation letter

Doubt this will become an epidemic...but interesting.
    Last edited by jkm_101_fso; 10-27-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?