Thread: Did we make the right decision in Nuristan?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Did we make the right decision in Nuristan?

Apologies if this has been posted already.

From the Long War Journal:

Nuristan drawdown gives new life in Pakistani Taliban

Asia Times reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad said that the US pullback in Nuristan has breathed new life into the Taliban in the Pakistani tribal agencies of Bajaur and Mohmand, and in the Swat Valley as well. The effective Taliban control of Nuristan due to the withdrawal of US forces has allowed Qari Ziaur Rahman to reorient forces across the border in Pakistan and open new fronts as the Army is focused on South Waziristan.
    While I think this overstates the case, it does make me wonder what it will be like if US/government forces try to return to eastern Nuristan (if ever).

Nuristani militant commanders are known for killing Pakistani Taliban and al Qaeda for crossing into their AO, so I wonder what the dynamic between local and Pakistani Taliban will be in the near future.

Was MikeF right, that we could have used the COP/FOB Keating (correction made for author) incident as an opportunity to drop the hammer on eastern Nuristan, and has our withdrawal just made things harder for us in the long term?
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-29-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: wrong name for COP/FOB and changed
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen