Thread: Terrorism in the USA:threat & response

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Toothpaste out of the tube ....

re: SGMGrumpy's post.

This is one that has plagued my imagination since Oklahoma City. So much toothpaste has exited the tube as more and more people are trained in nasty tactics. It stands to reason that some of them will use those tactics in their "real world" lives - and not as part of some AQ- or Hez-linked org.

The havoc raised by two simple operations - anthrax letters and DC snipers - proves that our nation is very over-reactive to these things. The consequential economic and psychological damage far exceeds the immediate damage done by the operations.

I see this as a problem that will continue - and will probably grow. Thanks for giving us a headsup on this incident.
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-06-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Council Member

Default BW: discussion continued

120mm
    In the book, "What Muslims Really Want" by the Gallup organization, they show that the great majority of adherants to Islam really, really like the fundamental precepts of America's political system.
    In drawing conclusions from such polls, I believe it is important to analyze them in terms of BW's concept making a distinction between principles and values. Adding some of my words here:

1. Principles (the abstract theories - e.g., all men are created equal).

2. Values (the culmination of valuation processes; that is, the reductions to real world practices of the abstract principles).

I think (having read a few) that these polls tend to ask whether there is agreement with the abstract principle. As an example, UBL, Zawahiri and Maududi would agree that "all men are created equal" - in fact, it is fundamental to their ideology. Where they go with that principle is different from where we go in its valuation process.

The problem is obvious. That "foreign guy" agrees with all of my principles, but then does a 180 in what he does - as compared to what I do - "What a f...ing liar. Can't trust these damn furriners." Etc.

------------------
    BW: would like to do a line by line on your April article - not necessarily on a thread. Have to think about that one - also still owe you a PM on Quakers, with some thoughts that have some relevance to this and other topics.

Further PS: Another distinction has to be made between fundamental ideology (which at most evolves) and "tactical manipulation of causes" (which may or may not affect the fundamental ideology) - Galula's take on that I've cited in another thread.
    Last edited by jmm99; 01-06-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add PS

Default Old thread lives on

A couple of points having quickly looked through the comments here, after the Fort Dix verdicts. I've also looked at the article cited by Steve Metz, after the London and Glasgow attacks in July 2007: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

The article looks rather different after the trial of one bomber (who survived the Glasgow airport attack and found guilty) and a suspected accomplice (found not guilty). There are many articles on the case and one nearly slipped past that one of the bombers had appeared in a Security Service / Police surveillance of suspects and had been excluded as a person worth investigating: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...wn-to-MI5.html

Behind all the policy announcemets over prevention at home, part of the UK's CT strategy (known as Operation Contest), there is a fine plan largely borrowed from the UK model of intervention with prolific / persistent criminals (often juveniles) and INHO little practical knowledge. I liken this to a desperate search for the right "tools" and the correct "repair" manual. As you may detect I am not convinced a national bureaucratic response is the answer.

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-07-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Add second link

Default Minneapolis 'home' of radicalization?

A fascinating NYT article on the home grown radicalized Somali youth from Minneapolis, who are reported to have left for Somalia and an active part in the violent Jihad: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/us...pagewanted=all

It has all the ingredients of the process - as the NYPD report illustrated.

The FBI are investigating and the community itself has taken some action, e.g. parents hiding children's (US) passports.

davidbfpo

Default The Somali homegrown threat

From this across the water vantage point the tiny exodus of US born Somali male youths to Somalia appears to have "fallen off the radar", although I know Bruce Hoffman reminds audiences here the exodus is part of a worrying trend in the USA.

On November 23, federal prosecutors in the United States unsealed indictments against members of a group of Minneapolis natives accused of being at the heart of a cell sending men and boys to fight with al-Shabaab, a radical Islamist movement in Somalia with close ties to al-Qaeda.

...the role of a former fighter in the recruitment of others highlights the risk of such individuals returning home.
    Using that and other open sources Raffaello Pantucci has added a commentary:
    http://raffaellopantucci.wordpress.c...ihad/#more-181
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Crosslink to War Crimes

The court documents are linked at this post, Multiple Minneapolis indictments unsealed.

Given the situation in Somalia (3 cabinet ministers KIA in last blast), the presence of jihadists among its diaspora should not cause surprise.

Cheers

Mike

Default Foreigners and suicide in Somalia

An interesting addenda to this is why is it that there are so many foreigners who appear to get involved in suicide attacks in Somalia? Are they simply more zealous? or is this some tactic?