Thread: Terrorism in the USA:threat & response

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Out in left field -- maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    The example given for this thread was a homegrown threat that clearly was a police problem, but his mentor Anwar Awlaki was an intelligence/SOF problem, as are many others who plan and inspire operations against the U.S. from afar. The police can only act defensively, which doesn't give us much depth when it comes to defense. I think an offensive element for this conflict is critical.
    And at home under the guise of support to law enforcement ? Our military would have no problem protecting our borders and supporting our police.

I realize I'm a bit out in left field, but, what good is it to have our intel and military if they are not covering home plate ?

Short of martial law that is
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Stan,

If the military is required to protect the homeland by operating in the homeland it can do so (if they're directed to by the appropriate authorities), but the current threat sure as heck doesn't require that and it is unlikely that this particular group will ever require augmenting the police with the military again in the near term with the possible of exception of deploying troops to airports in reaction (not to prevent) a successful attack. I think the local police and feds can handle most of the issues. For the ones they can't they can always ask for help.