Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrorism in the USA:threat & response

I posted this earlier and in bold updates:
    Several tweets that a suspect is in custody - now denied by BPD; alongside higher casualty figures - now denied by BPD and the inevitable array of video footage and stills.
    davidbfpo

So I've seen one source reporting a car-bomb of some sort in Morris County New York.

Anyone see anything else? Or is it bunk?

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    So I've seen one source reporting a car-bomb of some sort in Morris County New York.

Anyone see anything else? Or is it bunk?
    It's mostly bunk, but normal in the aftermath of this kind of incident. People are imagining additional threats.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Doesn't surprise me. I see that infowars has already started up the coal-powered-conspiracy-machine. Not going to link that.

Great sig pic btw. I haven't read Sluggy Freelance since college.

Some of the unofficial reports speak of ball bearings or BBs in the bombs and of many severe lower extremity injuries, legs blown off and such. If this is all true, you have:

two devices going off almost simultaneously,

timed to go off when there were a maximum number of people around,

at a very high profile event,

constructed perhaps to broadcast metal fragments,

at a level where a lot of severe injuries are caused.

From this, my civilian, untrained self concludes, whoever did this was a pretty proficient terrorist, who either is a natural born genius who read a lot or was pretty well trained by people who knew what they were about.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

CBS is reporting explosives were placed in 6-Liter pressure cookers.

Fwiw, the failed Times Square bombing also involved a pressure cooker.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    CBS is reporting explosives were placed in 6-Liter pressure cookers.

Fwiw, the failed Times Square bombing also involved a pressure cooker.
    I speculate that they are looking very closely at pax lists for flights that left the east coast for Europe with connections further east.

Default Where's Stan?

We need Stan to surface and give some insight on this! This is straight up his alley.

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    timed to go off when there were a maximum number of people around,
    at a very high profile event,
    The bombing occurred after the professionals and serious amateur runners had already finished – skipping the timeframe where there would be the most live-tv coverage. The people it targeted, who were finishing at that time, were the types who run to raise money for charity – normal Joes. The people who were standing around cheering, were likely to have been friends and families of those normal Joes.

From this, my civilian, untrained self concludes, whoever did this was a pretty proficient terrorist, who either is a natural born genius who read a lot or was pretty well trained by people who knew what they were about.
    Yeah, maybe. But the last few years of thwarted domestic terrorist attacks has involved a cavalcade of retards (literally in several cases) – so maybe the bar has just been set so low that “average” looks like “genius”.
    “[S]omething in his tone now reminded her of his explanations of asymmetric warfare, a topic in which he had a keen and abiding interest. She remembered him telling her how terrorism was almost exclusively about branding, but only slightly less so about the psychology of lotteries…” - Zero History, William Gibson

The people it targeted, who were finishing at that time, were the types who run to raise money for charity – normal Joes. The people who were standing around cheering, were likely to have been friends and families of those normal Joes.
    In other words he wanted it to hurt the most vulnerable, the most innocent of all present?

bourbon, whats your overall assessment if you don't mind giving it?

The object perhaps was the average guy, the average American. That was the target in the failed Times Square attack too, average people in a very famous 'American' place. Times Square and the Boston Marathon are both things that would appear on the front cover of a 'Visit American' travel brochure.

In addition maybe the timing has something to do with relaxing as an event winds down. I read that is the best time to hit a patrol, when they are approaching the end and beginning to relax. This whole thing seems a cut above average in execution.

I am not trying to be contrary for its own sake, just playing devil's advocate.

In addition maybe the timing has something to do with relaxing as an event winds down. I read that is the best time to hit a patrol, when they are approaching the end and beginning to relax. This whole thing seems a cut above average in execution.
    That is also the most dangerous time when transporting a prisoner...at the beginning and the end at least they used to teach that in my day.

Anytime you have multiple devices it indicates to me at least some higher form of planning and organization. Which always elevates the overall dangerousness IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    In other words he wanted it to hurt the most vulnerable, the most innocent of all present?
    I may be making too much of a generalization in terms of runners and spectators at the time; but it looks that way to me.

As an example my cousin was down by the finish line but left 30-60 minutes before the bombing; the "event" for her was watching the pro's finish - after that it was just kind of like watching a torrent of neighborhood joggers.

The Boston marathon also draws pro and serious runners from all over the world; the winners are usually like Kenyan or Ethiopian. When this international crowd is finishing is probably the height of live-tv coverage. The bomber(s) did not select this timeframe to hit.

Is such a change in the "demographics" relevant? I think we can't overlook it.

Is such a change in the "demographics" relevant? I think we can't overlook it.
    That is very significant ! if it turns out to be correct, which I think it may well be. The Rich and The Powerful are either protected by vast public resources or the private resources of the rich. The average Joe or Jane is vulnerable and they are a very,very big Target!

Default Speculations?

Assumption:
    It was not a lone bomber, he/she had help.

Why?
    1-timing, the bombs were timed somehow?

2-multiple placements.

3-concealment and camouflage was needed until detonation.

Anybody else feel free to jump in and add comments!

We need Stan to surface and give some insight on this! This is straight up his alley.
    Sorry Slap, just finished my day job !

Where to begin ?

First off, let’s discuss what we really have. Nothing on official sites is in and nothing should be as forensics takes tons of time.

A simple pipe bomb with that much of a blast effect and secondary’s intended to bounce victims back and forth is not some average bomb maker on a lone quest. They had help and these were not some ordinary pipe bombs in backpacks. It’s also clear that some of these failed devices were intended for First Responders.

Imagine how many people yesterday had backpacks on. How many put them down, discarded their trash, etc. ?

As far as fragmentation goes, detonated at ground level against a wall and direct the Sierra forward up to 50 yards low level. Claymore anyone ?

Some speculate that extremists groups (KKK and McVeigh) were angry with failed homeland security Bravo Sierra and really angry with a bunch of fast Africans winning every year at what is considered nearly as popular as the Super Bowl.

Will keep you informed
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

That is very significant ! if it turns out to be correct, which I think it may well be. The Rich and The Powerful are either protected by vast public resources or the private resources of the rich. The average Joe or Jane is vulnerable and they are a very,very big Target!
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily put it that way - but your perspective may give insight towards suspect groups or ideologies. If this "demographic" insight is legit, then which target would: the radical/anarchist hit? The militia type? The jihadi? The marxist? The eco-warrior? etc…

As far as breaking out the class-struggle lenses? I wouldn't consider most Kenyan pro-marathoners to rich and powerful. This may sound counter-intuitive to military-types - but marathons and "fitness" would probably be considered bourgeoisie activities in our country. Frankly, it costs extra to eat healthy in our country - and time spent exercising is time not on the job. Its a paradox, but I believe the lowest socio-economic levels in our country have the highest rate of obesity.

More uniformed speculation from me.

As Bourbon suggested, what if timing was intended to miss the foreigners? This thing is as much PR as anything else and it wouldn't play as well in countries in Africa, the Levant and South Asia if Kenyans and Ethiopians got blown up.

Hey Stan: They say it was not a high explosive and I think the smoke was white. Would a black powder bomb do the trick?
    Last edited by carl; 04-16-2013 at 07:52 PM.

bourbon, whats your overall assessment if you don't mind giving it?
    The daily foot-traffic at the Boylston St Starbucks had the highest concentration of attractive women in all of New England. Someone detonated a bomb in front of it.

I'm thinking ugly chicks are responsible.