Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 487

Thread: Terrorism in the USA:threat & response

  1. #461
    Council Member Firn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    We discussed the fall in (gun) homicides earlier. I'm glad that the Washington Post injected similar facts into the discussion.

    The use of rifles be it the illegal automatic ones used in Mumbai or Paris or the semi-automatic legally aquired ones used in San Bernadino seems to have become more common in terror attacks which are of course a specific issue. Proper intelligence and police work is of course vastly more important in general in this regard with gun control sometimes being a non-issue.

    Keep in mind that for decades in Europe semi-automatic rifles similar to the ones used in the various armed forces were largely rather easy to acquire and we had a hardly any homicides comitted with those. Overall the EU comission should present (more) facts and information before coming up with blanket 'ban' proposals.
    Last edited by Firn; 12-06-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

    General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935

  2. #462
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    847

    Default

    MY promised article on the attack.

    http://brownpundits.blogspot.com/201...or-attack.html

    I think I have said it all before, except maybe the bit about Saudi Arabia.

  3. #463
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    847

    Default

    A corrected and better edited version of my article on San Bernadino shootings is up at 3quarksdaily.com

    Comments welcome

  4. #464
    Council Member AmericanPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "Turn left at Greenland." - Ringo Starr
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    This is pure NYT PC Propaganda and it is nothing but an attack on our Constitution
    The Constitution is not a suicide pact.

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    most are black on black!!!!
    (1) This is not true and (2) even if it were, how would that diminish the importance of mitigating gun violence?

    Speaking of raw data:

    - the most efficient terrorist attacks are those perpetrated with guns. Bombs sometimes fail to explode. Guns almost always function. Of 236 terrorist attacks or attempted attacks in the U.S. between 2001 - 2013, 63 were perpetrated by individuals acting alone. 36 people were killed in those attacks; 32 by firearms.

    - the closer you are to guns, the more likely you to be killed by them; hence, the majority of suicides and homicides conducted by firearms. The proximity of firearms leads to higher risk of death by homicide or suicide.



    - handguns are the most common firearm used in homicides and suicides.

    - 36.8% of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty between 2005 - 2014 were killed by firearms.

    - how many mass shootings have been stopped by the 'good guy with gun' theory? Trained law enforcement officers struggle to hit their target 30% (I think it's closer to 20%) of the time in shooting incidents - how do you think the average joe will fare?

    The fact that more attacks like San Bernandino do not happen is probably a function of potential terrorist attackers failing to understand just how vulnerable America is to gun violence. Want to throw America in a frenzy? Every day for a week, a separate lone attacker armed with a gun targets a school, hospital, movie theater, and other soft targets in different parts of the country.
    Last edited by AmericanPride; 12-08-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

  5. #465
    Council Member slapout9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    The Constitution is not a suicide pact.
    I agree with that which is why they put in the Second Amendment. They new Politicos could be and often are corrupt.



    (1) This is not true and (2) even if it were, how would that diminish the importance of mitigating gun violence?
    Come on AP....you know it's true Chicago is the mass Shooting Capitol of the World and it is black on black crime....ask any good street cop around and he will tell you inter-racial crime is rare! All races tend to attack their own races, just a fact, again go to any FBI or DOJ stats and look it up.[/QUOTE]

    Speaking of raw data:

    - the most efficient terrorist attacks are those perpetrated with guns. Bombs sometimes fail to explode. Guns almost always function. Of 236 terrorist attacks or attempted attacks in the U.S. between 2001 - 2013, 63 were perpetrated by individuals acting alone. 36 people were killed in those attacks; 32 by firearms.
    Great big No,No,No.....it is guns against UNARMED or UNPROTECTED victims....that is always the missing part of the equation that the PC crowd leaves.

    - the closer you are to guns, the more likely you to be killed by them; hence, the majority of suicides and homicides conducted by firearms. The proximity of firearms leads to higher risk of death by homicide or suicide.

    Again PC Bull stuff nothing happens until a PERSON with the Will To KILL with a gun!!! People decide to kill not guns

    - handguns are the most common firearm used in homicides and suicides.
    Finally we agree, but so what. As Archie Bunker said "would it make you feel better if they were thrown off the roof and died"
    The most violent form of death any American is likely to have happen to them is a car wreck!!! Should we ban Cars and make the place all safe and fluffy!!


    - 36.8% of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty between 2005 - 2014 were killed by firearms.
    We are on a roll we agree again, but so what again? LE needs more money for combat shooting instead going to the range and do simple target shooting....after the Academy this is simply a waste of time and money.Been fighting that battle for years.....and loosing

    - how many mass shootings have been stopped by the 'good guy with gun' theory? Trained law enforcement officers struggle to hit their target 30% (I think it's closer to 20%) of the time in shooting incidents - how do you think the average joe will fare?
    We are really on a roll, agree again. Again this is a training issue. Basic Firearms training should take place in High School like Driver's Ed. Oh I can here the PC crowd yeeling already!!!

    The fact that more attacks like San Bernandino do not happen is probably a function of potential terrorist attackers failing to understand just how vulnerable America is to gun violence. Want to throw America in a frenzy? Every day for a week, a separate lone attacker armed with a gun targets a school, hospital, movie theater, and other soft targets in different parts of the country.
    That is right but we are confusing an act of vs. a criminal act. We should be using the National Guard at home like we did in WW2, to protect soft targets.

  6. #466
    Council Member AmericanPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    "Turn left at Greenland." - Ringo Starr
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    I agree with that which is why they put in the Second Amendment.
    The point is that the the Second Amendment, as an amendment, is not necessarily a permanent fixture of the Constitution.

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    ask any good street cop around and he will tell you inter-racial crime is rare!
    'Inter-racial crime' is rare because people are more often targeted by someone they know (or that knows them) rather than a stranger. This is also why gun-owners and their family members are most at risk of homicide or suicide by gun. Since the trend towards self-segregation is still strong, it is not surprising that inter-racial crime is rare. This is why over 80% of white homicide victims were murdered by another white person. If you are a white person, slap, you should beware of other white people. Especially if they own a gun. And especially if they are male. You know - just the 'raw data' speaking.

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    Great big No,No,No.....it is guns against UNARMED or UNPROTECTED victims....that is always the missing part of the equation that the PC crowd leaves.
    How many terrorist attacks have been prevented to date by the 'good guy with gun'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap
    People decide to kill not guns
    Yes - and people who already own guns make that decision more frequently than people who do not own guns. It probably has something fundamentally to do with the easy availability of firearms combined with their higher efficiency in killing than other weapons.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap
    Should we ban Cars and make the place all safe and fluffy!!
    This is a fallacious argument. First, cars are not inherently designed as weapons. Second, firearms are inherently designed as weapons. The purpose of a weapon is to kill its target. The auto industry has been required to implement a wide range of safety features to make the automobile safer. Operating a motor vehicle requires a license with picture identification and insurance. And the right to operate a motor vehicle can be revoked for any number of reasons. We shouldn't ban cars - but we should endeavor to make driving safer.

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    but so what again?
    "So what" is your response that firearms are the most dangerous threat to the lives of law enforcement officers? Are you anti- law enforcement slap?

    Quote Originally Posted by slap
    We should be using the National Guard at home like we did in WW2, to protect soft targets.
    Uh huh...
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot

  7. #467
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Trump day on Twitter. Scroll down for debate. My fear is that the ruling elite/intellectuals/clerisy are already pretty clueless about Islam (both postmarxist Left AND non-literate Right) and this just makes it harder to do things relatively rationally. Anyway, check it out.

    https://storify.com/omarali50/trump-day-on-twitter

  8. #468
    Council Member slapout9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    The point is that the the Second Amendment, as an amendment, is not necessarily a permanent fixture of the Constitution.
    I got it.



    'Inter-racial crime' is rare because people are more often targeted by someone they know (or that knows them) rather than a stranger. This is also why gun-owners and their family members are most at risk of homicide or suicide by gun. Since the trend towards self-segregation is still strong, it is not surprising that inter-racial crime is rare. This is why over 80% of white homicide victims were murdered by another white person. If you are a white person, slap, you should beware of other white people. Especially if they own a gun. And especially if they are male. You know - just the 'raw data' speaking.
    I am very familiar with white males with guns. You may not have joined the SWC yet, so you may not have seen the post of when I was a Police officer and I along with my wife were ambushed in our front yard. The attacker had 3 guns on him(and emptied them at us), 25 more in his truck and about 5,000 rounds of ammunition. The post should still be up somewhere in the archives. If not I can send you a copy from Police Marksman Magazine






    How many terrorist attacks have been prevented to date by the 'good guy with gun'?
    Don't know. Deterrence is hard to prove, like the Deterrent use of Nuclear Weapons, but I don't doubt that it has been done.



    Yes - and people who already own guns make that decision more frequently than people who do not own guns. It probably has something fundamentally to do with the easy availability of firearms combined with their higher efficiency in killing than other weapons.
    Disagree, recent purchase of a weapon is a stronger indicator it will be used in a crime, simple long term possession has never been proven to increase likelihood of use in a crime.



    This is a fallacious argument. First, cars are not inherently designed as weapons. Second, firearms are inherently designed as weapons. The purpose of a weapon is to kill its target. The auto industry has been required to implement a wide range of safety features to make the automobile safer. Operating a motor vehicle requires a license with picture identification and insurance. And the right to operate a motor vehicle can be revoked for any number of reasons. We shouldn't ban cars - but we should endeavor to make driving safer.
    It is a very good argument because it proves that if someone has the will to kill someone will use whatever they can get their hands on like a booby trap or an IED. Criminal/Terrorist control always works, gun control never has, except to impose dictatorship! As for safer driving again education and training is the answer.....personal responsibility not more" guvmint"



    "So what" is your response that firearms are the most dangerous threat to the lives of law enforcement officers? Are you anti- law enforcement slap?
    My response is the weapons are not a danger!!!! Moral decay of the society is by far a greater threat. MY God man we have a declared Socialist running for President! Never in my life would I have thought that possible.

    I have said this before and maybe you weren't here yet, but I had a training officer tell me" Never fear the weapon, always fear the person holding the weapon"still true today.

    And since I was one NO I am not anti-LE. You are not anti-American are you? Instead of preserving, protecting and defending the Constitution sounds you are recommending that we subvert and sabotage it.



    Uh huh...[/QUOTE] Agree[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by slapout9; 12-09-2015 at 06:01 AM. Reason: fix stuff

  9. #469
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Trump's comments and subsequent discussion on my Twitter Timeline. May be of interest to some.

    I storified them into

    Trump day in America

    Trump smashes the Overton Window, part 2

  10. #470
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Now that the firearms genie is out of the bottle, it's near impossible to roll it back - thanks NRA!

    The fact is ownership of handguns and (semi)-automatics is bad for society as a whole.

    Yes there are some instances where the good guy with the gun saves the day, but overall it's a disaster.

    Seatbelts sometimes kill, should we ban them?

    Should individuals be allowed nuclear weapons and B2 bombers in order to protect themselves from home invasion or government tyranny? Where do you draw the line?

  11. #471
    Council Member 82redleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USAWC, Carlisle Bks
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Azor View Post
    Now that the firearms genie is out of the bottle, it's near impossible to roll it back - thanks NRA!

    The fact is ownership of handguns and (semi)-automatics is bad for society as a whole.
    Wiki says that the UN says that the US in only 121st out of 218 countries in rate of intentional homicide.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

    Not sure that supports your argument that things here are particularly awful.

    Look at the countries with lower rates- they fall into 2 general groups- comparatively small, relatively culturally homogenous (generally western European and Asian) countries (with rates that probably look like large sections of the US, if you could get data that discounted the major cities where most of the crime is), and authoritarian states whose data is at best suspect in my mind.

  12. #472
    Council Member davidbfpo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,799

    Default Victims of Ideological Homicides 1990 - 2014

    From the START consortium of researchers a short, two page summary of their research and their overview states, with my emphasis in bold:
    This research brief presents the preliminary results of 25 years of ideological victimization committed by al-Qa’ida and affiliated movements and the extremist far-right in the United States from 1990 to 2014. For a full copy of the report, visit START’s website. Very little is known about victimization patterns, especially across ideologies, as researchers in terrorism and extremist violence tend to focus on perpetrator motives and typologies. Victim and target centered research provides a nuanced perspective of these violent events that can help mitigate victimization risk. Excluding the homicide victims associated with the four attacks on September 11th and the Oklahoma City bombing, 62 individuals were killed in 38 ideologically motivated homicide events committed by extremists associated with al-Qa’ida and affiliated movements and 245 were killed by far-right extremists (FRE) in 177 ideologically motivated incidents.The data for this brief originates from the United States Extremist Crime Database (ECDB), an open-source dataset that examines ideologically motivated and routine criminal activity, both violent and financial, committed by ideological extremists.
    Link:https://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START..._March2016.pdf
    davidbfpo

  13. #473
    Council Member AdamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hiding from the Dreaded Burrito Gang
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?*

    Check out the neck tats.

    OXNARD, Calif. -- A man faces charges of creating a chemical weapon capable of creating a gas the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention classifies as "immediately dangerous to life or health considerations" in a Walmart store here, CBS Los Angeles reports.


    Martin Reyes, 31, was questioned Tuesday in connection with a report of having a possible improvised chemical weapon at the store the morning of June 18, says Oxnard police Sgt. Mike Gregson said.

    The store was evacuated for about six hours until a hazmat team rendered the device safe.

    A month-long investigation identified Reyes as the suspect. Reyes, who was in custody at Ventura County Main Jail on an unrelated charge, confessed to manufacturing and placing the chemical weapon inside the store, Gregson said.

    The main said he researched how to do it on the Internet, Gregson added.
    * Yes, I know that applies to 50% of the news we're interested in these days but seriously, com'n this guy is special.

    (Added by Mod) Link:http://abc7.com/news/oxnard-man-arre...lmart/1436118/
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 07-22-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Link added - hopefully not too different the one author used.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail


    http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

  14. #474
    Council Member AdamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hiding from the Dreaded Burrito Gang
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Hundreds of terrorists will fan out to infiltrate western Europe and the U.S. to carry out attacks on a wider scale as Islamic State is defeated in Syria, FBI Director James Comey warned.

    "At some point there's going to be a terrorist diaspora out of Syria like we've never seen before," Comey said Wednesday in New York. "We saw the future of this threat in Brussels and Paris," said the head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, adding that future attacks will be on "an order of magnitude greater."
    http://www.stripes.com/news/us/fbi-c...-west-1.421192

    As foretold by the Prophet Chuck Norris.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail


    http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

  15. #475
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    Glad to hear the current administration got us out of two wars and increased our safety.

    The slow approach working through others is not always the best approach. Those who promoted a UW approach for this challenge have lost crediblity. When you provide time, a lot of time, for the enemy to adapt to your strategy, then they'll adapt. Denying IS a physical safe haven in Iraq and Syria is still important, but it won't be decisive.

    Our half stepping has certainly contributed to creating this mess.

  16. #476
    Council Member AdamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hiding from the Dreaded Burrito Gang
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    What's an article on a drug that turns you into a naked face-eating zombie doing under an LE title on this site? Devil's in the details.

    The man-made drug that's manufactured primarily in China entered the states only a few years ago, but didn't soar in popularity until 2013.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...o-know-w435074

    If you wanted to destabilize an opponent's population and send it's emergency services into overdrive as a distraction during an international confrontation, this'd be a pretty good results delivery system.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail


    http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

  17. #477
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    We don't sufficiently appreciate the adversary's use of subversion, distraction, and attrition as strategic lines of effort to weaken us over the long term.

    Even if China's government doesn't support this, and I suspect they don't, they can still benefit from it by ignoring it. Just like Russia and China benefited strategically by the U.S. being distracted in the Middle East.

  18. #478
    Council Member AdamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hiding from the Dreaded Burrito Gang
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    We don't sufficiently appreciate the adversary's use of subversion, distraction, and attrition as strategic lines of effort to weaken us over the long term.
    Funny you should mention this. See also
    http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...829#post192829

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Even if China's government doesn't support this, and I suspect they don't, they can still benefit from it by ignoring it. Just like Russia and China benefited strategically by the U.S. being distracted in the Middle East.
    Why? For the sake of argument, how would that be any different than Beijing's offensive cyberwar efforts?

    If you're saying officially unsanctioned, the US has elements of the Federal Government doing 'dumb####' that could qualify as 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing'.

    Furthermore, Beijing is far better at the long game than Washington DC. It would be well within the PRC's playbook guidelines to let some of their gangsters float a new drug that - if the circumstances dictate it - could be used as an asset during a confrontation.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail


    http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

  19. #479
    Council Member AdamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hiding from the Dreaded Burrito Gang
    Posts
    2,548

    Default

    Meanwhile, back at Soft Target USA

    The briefing was held in a private banquet room about 1,000 feet from the White House. The FBI was there. The Department of Homeland Security was there. So were staffers from the 9:30 Club and the Black Cat, gay bars Number Nine and Trade, and dozens of other nightlife spots and restaurants.

    The message was both dire and obvious, once unthinkable and now unavoidable: You know those terrorists who want to attack Washington?

    Forget the Capitol. Next time, they might come for your happy hour.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...d0a_story.html

    Note to all you inside-the-beltway readers: this is why you should be paying attention during those PERSEC briefings.
    A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
    Two thousand pounds of education
    Drops to a ten-rupee jezail


    http://i.imgur.com/IPT1uLH.jpg

  20. #480
    Council Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
    Funny you should mention this. See also
    http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...829#post192829



    Why? For the sake of argument, how would that be any different than Beijing's offensive cyberwar efforts?

    If you're saying officially unsanctioned, the US has elements of the Federal Government doing 'dumb####' that could qualify as 'left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing'.

    Furthermore, Beijing is far better at the long game than Washington DC. It would be well within the PRC's playbook guidelines to let some of their gangsters float a new drug that - if the circumstances dictate it - could be used as an asset during a confrontation.
    Why? If you are getting the desired result without getting your hands dirty, then the best decision may be simply letting it happen, you may even make a few arrests to pretend you're cooperating. In the meantime the idiots in our country consuming this junk out a burden on multiple systems (legal, medical, etc.). The majority of youth in our country now don't even meet minimal standards to join the military, this will further worsen that issue, but no need to worry we have plan. It's called the third offset strategy, and we'll use robots in the future to protect our retards who are incapable of protecting themselves.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 09-11-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Sunni and Shi'a Terrorism: Differences That Matter
    By Jedburgh in forum Adversary / Threat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 08:44 PM
  2. Terrorism: What's Coming
    By Jedburgh in forum Adversary / Threat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM
  3. Country Reports on Terrorism 2006
    By SWJED in forum Adversary / Threat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •