Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Search for Strategic Intelligence

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    So, here is my question: WHAT exactly is strategic intelligence? and why is it so rarely asked for, and even more rarely provided?
    Very good question. I do not see how you can have any such thing as Strategic intelligence. The word Strategic seems to be poorly used in place of "expensive" and/or "important."

Intelligence relating to strategy? So that would depend entirely on the strategy being used.

More importantly, intelligence should support or serve a Policy - because strategy is how policy is applied. Strategy is how something is done using force.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Default Where to Start?

50 billion a year on intelligence gathering, and most of it is, as many said, tactical.

It is easy for me to incorrectly suggest that I was a dumb-ass civilian planner/development manager before I answered Ambassador Crocker's call for a civilian surge in 2007, but the truth is that as a former tank commander in Germany during the mid-70s, I was transfixed by the issue of boundaries and populations (and movements in response), which my subsequent education (undergrad: geography/economics), and grad: planning & policy), all reinforced.

Truth is I worked on regional geographic analysis through experiences like with a railroad industrial development shop, for a regional business park developer, and as a planning expert on school boundaries, growth patterns, and economic/demographic/industrial/infrastructure consequences.

Throughout, a substantial component of my real estate client base was the signal intelligence core in the Baltimore-Washington Corridor, but, while mindful of their capabilities, on the civilian side (like Surfbeetle), we were punching through new levels of applications of civilian technology (GIS, disaggregated population studies and forecasting, market-based momentum patterns, and systems dynamics models for regional, area, and sub-area public resource planning.

With that as a background, I went to Northern Iraq to form a civilian reconstruction planning hub to link PRT, US mil, and Iraqi governance and service extension, but was floored by the lack of relevant US knowledge, in 2008, of the background geographic, demographic, economic, infrastructure and systems knowledge needed to understand what was going on there.

I would look at at these civilian maps, and my geographer's eye would immediately track to the fact that provincial and district boundaries were often illogical and in conflict. Why, in one map, was Taji shown as a part of Salah ad Din, and in another, as a part of Baghdad? Why was the majority of Bayji city shown to be a part of Tikrit? Why, as a senior civilian reconstruction adviser, was I unable to determine from competing population data, whether Samarra had 200,000 or 400,000 people enclosed within the defensive wall?

On the action level, we had USAID and CERP money pouring into proposals to restart poultry processing when, in fact, none of the poultry production needed to support a poultry restart was in place, and there was no systematic process in place to map out the poultry chain and dependencies (grain mills, egg hatcheries) necessary to make these poultry processing houses sustainable.

With MND-North (in 2008), we began the process of systematically mapping out the agri-business sector, industrial sectors, and political boundaries. For the first time, we knew how many asphalt plants existed in Northern Iraq and theoir current capacity and status (and therefore, the maximum amount of asphalt available for road repair). For the first time, we mapped out the locations of regional Iraqi highway repair facilities, and the fact that they had NO equipment---a good reason why reconstruction was at a crawl on the Iraqi side.

This past summer, for example, I saw a press release from John Nagl and a group of investment partners, that they had funded the opening of the first tomato canning factory in Iraq (in Kurdistan). In fact, Balad Canning Factory was reopened with a $10 million capaital injection in June 2008, but the demand for tomatoes in drought-and refugee-pressed Mosul was so great that all the tomatoes from Balad were being trucked up to Mosul.

It just didn't make sense.

So, in 2008, we started from scratch the systematic mapping and analysis of civilian economic, population, admin/political boundaries, and infrastructure in order to move beyond wasted efforts to chase "low-hanging fruit," one brigade at a time, and in the fifth year of "occupation" (also one year at at time).

Armed with the realization that so much of Iraq's civilian information was either terrible or misleading, I started going through reports like the DoS pre-war Iraq Study Group, and quickly understood that much of the "insights" were nothing more than uninformed WAGs from ex-Iraqis, and lacked any credibility for analysis or planning of anything substantive about Iraq.

Moreover, I came home with terra drives full of historical boundary maps and population data (gathered while with the UN Politcal Team), to which I have since added many more terrabytes of open source historicasl reports and documents, and the picture is clear, at least to me, that much of what is now needed to be known to make clear assessments of the political condition and structure of Iraq, was easily knowable---but nobody had put it together in a way typical of most civilian analytical frameworks.

So, I am watching the same patterns emerging in Afghanistan---background civilian data that is just GIGO---and fundamental emerging trends that any reasonable civilian analyst in the US would have spotted and opined on years ago, but are completely missed in our tactical, geophysical and military only focus.

As with the Afghan Population thread from last week, was Afghanistan bigger than Iraq (No), and what of the now-missing 5 million Afghans resulting from the CIA Factbook's recent reduction of population estimates from 33.6 million to 28.4?

Obviously, all the rest of the minute Afghan sub-population calculations (percent ethnic, age, urban, etc..) is just GIGO.

Same with Entropy's effort to track Afghan provincial and district boundaries. In a conflict zone, these dynamic boundary changes are both a driver, and evidence of, potential or past conflict. The Iraqi ones are a clear roadmap of, and to, conflict.

In Iraq, for example, we could have just integrated the civilian mapping sources (including deed references and names) to accomplish twice as much knowledge, systematically, as was gained from haphazard HTS data. That hugely valuable info about property ownership, names and families, was readily available as frame to rapidly convert HTS into a fact-checker and troubleshooter instead of a piece-meal collector.

Yes, I have seen a lot of the tribal mapping stuff, and a lot of it, by contrast to more concrete sources (census, deeds, etc.), as field checked by UN staff from the DIBS team, is remarkably substandard for strategic-level analysis.

As for core reconstruction, it didn't take Beetle or I to be on the ground to have pointed out that a brigade-level profusion of well-drilling (as a quick hit drought response) would have significant ramifications for water tables (and existing wells) in Northern Iraq, and that, with or without them, large numbers of droughted-out farmers would be flocking as refugees to cities like Mosul, compounding urban political instability issues there.

The big lesson that I learned is that, at the strategic level, there is no understanding of how to collect and analyze routine civilian data with the level of acuity or dynamism helpful to plan and implement in conflict or post-conflict environment.

I know that many folks believe that by spending $50 billion annually on intelligence gathering, they must know something, but, from my perspective, it is a very tactical something, and the gap for strategic purposes is, in fact, huge?

How many other countries, like Iraq in 1990, aren't we tracking, and don't know enough about to be ready to effectively gauge and respond to? My guess is that it is far more than policy makers think.

That's my Sunday missile.

Steve

Default Tracking less?

Steve the Planner cited:
    How many other countries, like Iraq in 1990, aren't we tracking, and don't know enough about to be ready to effectively gauge and respond to? My guess is that it is far more than policy makers think.
    The UK learnt this lesson wayback in 1982, when Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands; an intelligence target we did watch, not enough. The Franks Report on the intelligence failure: http://www.margaretthatcher.org/arch...p?docid=109481

More contemporary example, Germany no longer gives Latin America any priority in intelligence gathering.

Today I'd suggest there are large chunks of the world which are little watched or the USA depends on others to assist with what little they have. If the DEA focus didn't exist and the drugs trade was not international where would Latin America feature for the USA? Pretty low.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Geography of Conflict

David:

In college, I was required to write a book report for a Geographic Thought class, so, like any good college student, I browsed the shelves for the thinnest book I could find---a 1935 tome on the geography of conflict.

What was there? Indo-China, Falklands, the Middle East, Balkans, Afghanistan/Pakistan/Kashmir, etc....

Not very complicated, is it?

Steve

Default Geography of Conflict changes

Steve,

Valid point, but taking the Middle East as one example. Oil production IIRC was concentrated in a few places, notably Abadan, Iran; the oil resources in North Africa e.g. Libya had not been identified. So the focus in the region has moved around.

I am sure mapping of conflict will show the same places dominate, so will an article search - who for example watches the Dardenelles closely now?

Reversing the focus - which areas do not feature? Have those changed over time?

Ethiopia is one country that has a low historical profile, for a variety of reasons and without media and NGO reported starvation i.e. Band Aid would it feature on a current map of places that need watching? I think not.

Geography is one aspect, important yes; there are others - religion for one.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Far be it from me to say that our investment in tactical intelligence isn't crucial, but it would be good, at some level, to improve acuity on the basics like gepography, demographics, trade patterns, basic structure and function of internal governments, and key infrastructure---for the purpose of possible conflict analysis.

On the other hand, when I first heard about Human Terrain, it was in that context, not as just an anthropological endeavor about tribes.

In the pre-Kennedy days, every Embassy, for example, had a geographic attache, whose sole job was to collect any and all maps, reports and studies he could gather, and feed them into the system where folks in Foggy Bottom could study them to help interpret the World.

No more geographic attaches, and if there were, I doubt the collected info would go anywhere. Looks to me like even the CIA is just looking on the web, including our site. Not what people think.

Steve
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 11-01-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Change top into to and no into not.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Planner
    ...it would be good, at some level, to improve acuity on the basics like gepography, demographics, trade patterns, basic structure and function of internal governments, and key infrastructure---for the purpose of possible conflict analysis.
    Amen. I would only insert a phrase into your statement:

It would be good, at some level, to improve acuity on the basics like geography, demographics, trade patterns, basic structure and function of internal governments, and key infrastructure - and the interactions and interdependencies between and among those factors - for the purpose of possible conflict analysis.
    ...On the other hand, when I first heard about Human Terrain, it was in that context, not as just an anthropological endeavor about tribes...
    See Edward Ullman, Human Geography and Area Studies, published in 1953. In the paper, Ullman describes how the discipline of geography is more than just physical geography or maps. He goes on to differentiate specific geographic studies between other social science disciplines, and sums up with an advocacy for a multi-disciplined team approach to area studies:

...By spatial interaction I mean actual, meaningful human relations between areas on the earth's surface, such as the reciprocal relations and flows of all kinds among industries, raw materials, markets, culture and transportation-not static location as indicated by latitude, longitude, type of climate etcetera, nor assumed relations based on inadequate data and a priori assumptions.....

....Looks to me like even the CIA is just looking on the web, including our site....
    I won't comment on the Agency specifically, but in general I do believe that an over-reliance on technology is destroying true analytic capabilities in many areas. I believe I've mentioned before on this board the story of the terrain team NCOIC in Afghanistan who had no clue how to develop a real terrain analysis narrative product supporting the imagery, but instead kept insisting that the imagery itself was all that was necessary.

This is very helpful guys, keep it up!
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Default Next Steps

The person I watch is LTG Mark Hertling.

Stepped in the shoes of Petreaus and Odierno in Northern Iraq for the Surge, now to Tradoc.

His crew at MND-North, as I am sure many Division-level commands, was chock full of some really brilliant folks with deep experience from multiple tours in Iraq. And he knew how to focus and prioritize those capabilities...

He knew there was nothing in place to drive civilian reconstruction/stability, so he just set about coordinating civilians and military to get there. Thus, a lot of the background research done for the first time. And all of it was put into play as soon as developed.

There was never as time when, for example, we needed a physics expert to address an odd-duck electrical problem, that they couldn't just reach internally or externally to put a West Point physics professor on the line. And reach-back is a fantastic tool if you know what you are trying to solve.

If anybody is going to reach to a COIN 2.0, it will be him.

Steve

Council Member

I think we're confusing several cross-cutting issues here, and in so doing highlighting some of the very challenges involved in the question.

1) What is strategic intelligence? And is it actually very useful? I think Wilf interjected an important element of caution here--its all to easy to presume that greater/better intel would somehow make the strategic choices better or the strategies themselves more effective. In many cases, it's not clear that is the case at all.

2) Much of what people seem to want is not necessarily strategic intelligence, but rather multidisciplinary intel that cuts across issues and elements in a way that either threat-intel or country-focus or agency stovepiping doesn't facilitate. This can be a problem, but it is not necessarily that hard to do. Moreover, since I know that that work is out there--I've been in two meetings this month alone with the US IC that certainly fell into that category--I'm wondering if the problem is that people aren't accessing what there is available.

Perhaps it would be useful if Bob, or someone else, would (within reason) put a hypothetical request for strategic intel on the table for us to focus the discussion on--that is, what would would look for in the product, where that product would best be generated (and in conjunction with whom), what the basic building blocks would be, and why it would be useful in in supporting strategic policy formulation and implementation.

At the moment the discussion on what is needed/wanted risks drifting around at the level of vagueness that drives real-life intel managers and analysts a little loopy.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Council Member

Rex:

Good point:

In Iraq, I was, at one point, focused on creating a civilian reconstruction GIS Base Layer to drive reconstruction planning.

So I was asked what the base layer should contain, and why. The list was something like this:

1. Basic Place Geography

2. Topography & Physical Geography

3. Core Infrastructure (Roads, Bridges, Power, etc...)

4. Population Distribution

5. Key Government Facilities

The question came back: Tell me about this "topy thing?" What's that about?

So, it depends on whether the decision=makers are going to be able to understand/use it?

I don't believe the background studies we are talking about are strategic intelligence, just background Base Layer stuff. The frame to which somebody attaches strategy, or, at worst, discounts strategy. Like when S-2 in a recent post re: Cities Strategy thought in made sense to add up the population* of the cities in question to determine the relative strength of that posture to the overall country.

Steve

* Not that I would put much credence in many of the pop data sets available.

Council Member

Default Good discussion

As a former puryeyor of "strategic" intelligence, I would say that the short answer is where the taskings come from and how resulting intel will be applied. Typical post-CW strategic taskings included how different countries would react to the changing environment, capabilities as they applied to strategic issues, etc.

Would the French re-integrate with the NATO military command structure? Would the European neutrals join NATO after the Soviet threat diminished? Wouls X grant overflights in support of combat scenarios? Would Y join us if we began military operations against Z? If not join, would they be either supportive or non-hindering? If another country joined a coalition, what could they reasonably bring to the fight?

There is, therefore a meaningful definition of strategic intelligence, probably in some doctrinal pub some place. Taskings may come from GCCs, but they predominantly originate in Washinton/London/Berlin.

This is an operator's perspective only. Things may look differently from the cubicle farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    I think we're confusing several cross-cutting issues here, and in so doing highlighting some of the very challenges involved in the question.

1) What is strategic intelligence? And is it actually very useful?
    Rex,

From my armchair strategic intelligence is an imprecise phrase with different meanings at the strategic (grand strategy), operational, and tactical levels.

A nations grand strategy takes into account such global factors as information, governance, economics, diplomacy, and security and requires a whole of government approach. It would follow that strategic (grand strategy) intelligence would provide insight on these topics. An open source example:

From the Economist: A special report on China and America, A wary respect

Back in 1905, America was the rising power. Britain, then ruler of the waves, was worrying about losing its supremacy to the upstart. Now it is America that looks uneasily on the rise of a potential challenger. A shared cultural and political heritage helped America to eclipse British power without bloodshed, but the rise of Germany and Japan precipitated global wars. President Barack Obama faces a China that is growing richer and stronger while remaining tenaciously authoritarian. Its rise will be far more nettlesome than that of his own country a century ago.
    Much of military intelligence appears to focused upon security issues (primarily tactical and operational strategy), and in the current fight some of us feel that a wider focus which includes localized economics, governance, information, and diplomacy issues would be of value. By localized level I mean region, country, province, district, subdistrict, city, village, or block. An open source example:

Institute for the Study of War: The Fight for Mosul

In 2007, Al Qaeda in Iraq (AQI) was steadily pushed into northern Iraq. By the spring of 2008, the network attempted to regroup in certain areas, particularly around the city of Mosul. Mosul has long been an important hub for the Sunni insurgency and Coalition commanders have identified it as a strategic center of gravity for AQI. Though AQI cells remain in central Iraq, the principal fight against the network is now taking place in Mosul, western Ninawa province, and further south in the Za’ab triangle. As the fight against AQI proceeds and the Government of Iraq attempts to establish security and governance in northern Iraq it is important to understand the context in which this struggle will take place. Iraq Report #8 focuses on the fight for Mosul beginning with the context and history of the city and then detailing efforts to establish security in Mosul and Ninawa from the beginning of the Iraq War in 2003 through the shaping operations that preceded Operations’ Lions’ Roar and Mother of Two Springs in May 2008.
    Things are complicated by incorrect classification levels...i.e. everybody on the battlefield knows where the water treatment plant is located, does it really need to be classified? Things are even further complicated by stovepiping and despite our technological advantages we still have great difficulty in developing a commonly shared picture of the disparate/multidisciplinary influences upon the ground we are to hold. IMO the need for a wider view, one which is not just limited to security issues, is the driver of that imprecise phrase strategic intelligence.
    Last edited by Surferbeetle; 11-02-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Clarity...
    Sapere Aude

Council Member

Default Heidenrich

Bob:

I read the 2007 Heidenrich piece which does seem to create a good overview relevant to your initial questions.

I have never really been interested in mil intelligence, just trying to do reconstruction, but seeing how the basic infrastructure stuff is so poor for my side, understanding what's really gone wrong, as Heidenrich explains, in the changes in the system.

It didn't take me long to realize that in Iraq, stovepiping wasn't the issue. The lack of credible background info was. Basic dumb stuff of the Gertrude Bell variety. In fact, in reading her work in Iraq, she seemed to have more basic situational awareness than we had in Iraq.

It's not just about railroad lines and highway lines, but what they connect to, volumes and patterns of traffic. Why are they there? What's important?

On a contemporary basis, whether in Iraq or Afghanistan, How many checkpoints along each major route? Who mans them? What do they charge? How many cars/trcuks are backed up? What are they carrying? What is their origin/destination? Why, under such circumstances, would certain things continue to move while others are stopped? How many get a "free pass?" Why?

From a political/administrative standpoint, who reports to who? What is the basic structure of provincial/district/sub-district government? Who fixes which roads? Which police station feeds to which Court or Prison? Who runs them? Why are people arrested? How many are released? Why were they arrested and/or released?

During shock and awe, we often saturated road/bridge systems rather than just minimally disabling them. The destruction was much more than needed, and then, we bore the brunt of the damage and delays to reconstruct. Go figure?

Of the power plants, how many are actually running? What capacity? In Bayji, the local operators would pour oil in the base of the generators and burn it just to make the other locals think power was being generated---instead of people attacking him for not producing power.

Sure, we had the intel guys find the grain routes, but that was in 2008. There was nobody in the first five years looking for them. Why was that?

Trouble is that we hardly understand the routes anymore, let alone things that are important.

Much more to it, in my mind, to just getting base work in order to later answer questions.

Love to be able to rattle off the answers to your initial questions, but I doubt anybody really knows. Take Afghanistan alone, and apply those questions to each category of country that surrounds it, and each sub-category of entity/condition, and each would be a chain of linked relationships. Measuring them would be the art that we seem to have lost how to perform.

Steve

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle
    ....There is, therefore a meaningful definition of strategic intelligence, probably in some doctrinal pub some place...
    JP 2-0 Joint Intelligence, 22 Jun 07

Strategic Intelligence

National strategic intelligence is produced for the President, Congress, Secretary of Defense, senior military leaders, and the CCDRs. It is used to develop national strategy and policy, monitor the international situation, prepare military plans, determine major weapon systems and force structure requirements, and conduct strategic operations. Strategic intelligence operations also produce the intelligence required by CCDRs to prepare strategic estimates, strategies, and plans to accomplish missions assigned by higher authorities.

FM 2-0 Intelligence, 17 May 04

SUPPORT TO STRATEGIC RESPONSIVENESS

Intelligence support to strategic responsiveness supports staff planning and preparation by defining the full spectrum of threats, forecasting future threats, and forewarning the commander of enemy actions and intentions. Support to strategic responsiveness consists of four subtasks: Perform I&W, ensure intelligence readiness, conduct area studies of foreign countries, and support sensitive site exploitation.

UK Army Field Manual Volume 1 Combined Arms Operations, Part 3 Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR), Mar 02

Strategic Intelligence: Intelligence which is required for the formation of policy and military plans at national and international levels.

Council Member

Default Another perspective

Some thoughts on this as I work on some projects in my lane:

1. What types of Competitors are associated with a problem, probably laid out in 3 tiers from those directly engaged, those 1 degree of separation away, and those 2 degrees of separation away.
    a. Who are the state actors?
    1. Nuclear States
    2. Non-nuclear States
    3. Failing States
    4. Criminal States
    The above list looks more like a typology than information that would inform a strategy. However, I know if you're working on this there is more to it than meets the eye. A list of all States under the classification of nuclear and non-nuclear doesn't inform strategy, but if a nuclear state is at risk of failing, then that becomes strategically important.

Then the pressing issue is determining why the State is failing, and using Steve the Planner's post as an example, I tend to agree that we don't do this well. Our IC is enemy focused, and that is still a critical component of intelligence for the military (probably still the most critical), but that doesn't provide the necessary information needed to rebuild Iraq or Afghanistan for example. Now we're getting more into what has been coined human terrain or human geography along with economics, politics, etc. and as Jedburgh pointed out how all these various items combine to provide a functional context. Not sure if that is rates as operational or strategic intelligence, just know that we need it.

I think there are two components that strategic planners/advisors require. One is a strategic design and the other is a list of our known strategic interests (security, economy, etc.)

A Strategic Design process that parallels Operational Design would potentially provide strategists a context to better understand whether a particular situation actually warrants a response on our part. Is this situation that actually threatens one of our strategic interests to begin with?

This step is critical, especially since the Joint Operating Environment (JOE) informs us that numerous trends are converging in troubling ways, so we'll be faced with more "potential" crises in the near future than we can ever hope to effectively deal with, so a strategy and strategic design is essential to inform our triage process. The IC would be responsible for continuously updating the design, which would require a reorganization process on their part, as this is not a simple undertaking.

Immediately following WWII the world was still complex, but our strategic priorities were more black and white. It was determined by our national leadership that rebuilding Japan and Germany to counter the growing communist threat was in our national interests, and IMHO it was a well informed strategy that resulted on substantial return on our investment.

Now jumping to the post Cold War era, we responded to the crisis in Somalia in the early 90s presummably because our leadership thought it was in our national interest to do so, but we accomplished little, and on the other hand we didn't respond to the crisis in Rwanda, why? This is the post Cold War era strategic gray area that we still live in.

One of advantage of having a strategy and strategic design (which should provide a common understanding of the issues to the U.S. Government, thus help facilitate consensus) is that once the leadership determines a particular effort is in our strategic interests then we should invest fully in it. Our design already tells us the risks if we don't do so. That begs the question do we get involved if it isn't in our strategic interests? Realpolitic suggests yes, but at least I would hope we would invest lightly and keep one hand on the eject button, so we don't get stuck in a quagmire that isn't truly in our long term interests. That means we would limit our public objectives so we don't box ourselves in with our own rhethoric.

In many ways the debate over Afghanistan relates back to a lack of strategy and strategic design. The key question now seems to be is it in our national interests to rebuild Afghanistan as stable state? Unfortunately there is no consensus, because we don't have a common understanding of the strategic context. If the answer is yes, then it will most likely call for a substantial investment, much like the investment we made in Germany and Japan. After eight years of fighting we still having fully committed to one approach or the other.

Strategy, Strategic Design and Strategic Intelligence are important, even if we can't define what it is :-).
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 11-02-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: tighten it up a little

Council Member

Bob:

I think Jedburgh hit it, intentionally or otherwise. Spy vs. spy spooky stuff. They are so wrapped up in military assets that they forget to look at the background that makes a place and a situation tick.

Saddam didn't care what we thought about him having WMD. Between the Kurds and Shi'as at his back, he was more interested that the Iranians and his other neighbors thought he had them. Nothing, per se, to do with weapons, and everything to do with historical and domestic issues.

The worse things got on the home front, the greater the internal and external threat. The more the need to posture.

Steve

Bruce Bueno de Mesquita on predicting Strategic Events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts5MKtXNpMQ

Council Member

Col. Jones,

Sorry if this suggestion appears obvious, but have you or your intel people researched to see of some other organization or agency is working on your issues? The CIA and State's INR seem like obvious candidates, but a dozen or so calls or emails to the right people should give you an indication of any classified work in that area. The other obvious suggestion is open-source research to see what's available in open and grey literature.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Jedburgh View Post
    JP 2-0 Joint Intelligence, 22 Jun 07

Strategic Intelligence

National strategic intelligence is produced for the President, Congress, Secretary of Defense, senior military leaders, and the CCDRs. It is used to develop national strategy and policy, monitor the international situation, prepare military plans, determine major weapon systems and force structure requirements, and conduct strategic operations. Strategic intelligence operations also produce the intelligence required by CCDRs to prepare strategic estimates, strategies, and plans to accomplish missions assigned by higher authorities.
    So strategic intelligence is used to develop national strategy AND policy? Wow. That makes no sense. It might all make sense if you took out the word "strategic." - so just say intelligence?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition