Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Men Who Stare at Goats

Dr. C what is your expert opinion on psychic phenomenon?

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Well, right now I'm very much enjoying that my message posting in the "what are you currently reading?" thread was moved and deserved its own threaded discussion.

As for my expert opinion on psychic phenomenon, I do think that there are "intuitives" who have very strong intuition and take in information this way. The Army uses the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Based on the MBTI, intuitives or "Ns" make up a smaller number than sensors or "Ss" in the general population and in the Army. Sensors are those who take in information with their five senses, and put more value in their experiences than in "hunches."
    Michele Costanza, Ph.D., CKM/CKEE (Contractor)

Default Speaking on behalf of NTs

Dr C,
    As an "off the charts NT" ... I'd like to know how to stare more effectively....
    Thought my "glare" worked very effectively with my two daughters who are nearly grown and on their own ....

However, my son (15mths) is another story ... are there any indications that some of the goats laughed at the "starers" 'cuz that's all the reaction I get out of my mid-life surpise....
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    I once took up palmistry as a way to hold girl's hands but then found that in a few weeks I had become "psychic" and my subjects were revealing scarily personal details to me. Another friend tried "graphology" at the same time. After comparing notes, we decided that its not the particular mumbo-jumbo. ANY such exercise improves your intuition of subtle clues (mostly without your having any idea what clues you are using).
    My current belief is that there is nothing supernatural in any of this, but "natural" is a much more interesting category than we think and there is gold in them thaar hills for anyone who puts in some effort (naturally, some people are intrinsically better at it than others..."gifted"). But in the end, one well placed 7.62 mm round trumps all psychic abilities....

Council Member

Default The Council, and some members - self-analysis ...

via the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), in Nov 2008, The council, INTJ - including yours truly in this revealing analysis of the INTJ (JMM) and ENTJ (Stan) types. This true piece of work (pure science) is an invaluable reference to our present study of psychic energy applied to goats.

What is proof of the pudding is Ted's introduction of sheep into the equation; and 120mm's coup de grace introducing the goat - foretelling the present discussion by almost 12 months. Verily, need we more evidence than that presented to our lying eyes.

Cheers

Mike

We used to arrest people who stared at farm animals to long... Never really knew their intentions if you know what I mean. As to the movie? Well I'm hoping it is funny even if most people won't get the jokes. I was figuring it would be in the same genre as "Burn after reading".
    Sam Liles
    Selil Blog
    Don't forget to duck Secret Squirrel
    The scholarship of teaching and learning results in equal hatred from latte leftists and cappuccino conservatives.
    All opinions are mine and may or may not reflect those of my employer depending on the chance it might affect funding, politics, or the setting of the sun. As such these are my opinions you can get your own.

Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
    I was figuring it would be in the same genre as "Burn after reading".
    I hope so. That movie was brilliant.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

LTC (ret) Jim Channon's "First Earth Battalion" can be found here. This is the guy played by Jeff Bridges in the movie. Interesting stuff...

That's some FBCB2 stuff right there!!!

Council Member

You have to go to the top to understand how all of this emerged. A guy named General Stubblebine was the INSCOM commander in the 80's, and there is all sorts of weird stuff associated with him. The First Earth Battalion is one of his projects, he also did a lot of weird stuff that can be read about in "The Hunt for Zero Point" book.

A very good friend of mine who retired as a CW3 and was a career MI NCO/Warrant said Stubblebine used to bend spoons with his mind, a la Uri Geller. My buddy is now a SES-level civilian in the MI world and I have zero reason to doubt him.

I'm looking forward to the movie, the book was wildly entertaining, even if there was some poetic license taken.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

If you want his 1st Earth Battalion Field Manual OM-1 it is here

I am pretty sure that if you download it someone will notice though

Reading it makes you long for the day that doctrine becomes more like a graphic novel

Default Wait for DVD

Selil will probably have a much better synopis, but here's my take.

The movie had so much potential if they had stuck to comedy particularly just the concept of a "hippie" batallion running around Fort Bragg; however, half way through the movie, it went serious. They tried to politicize issues of private contractors in Iraq shooting recklessly in Ramadi and PsychOps units going rogue and torturing prisoners. Not cool.

Other than that, if you're a non-military person into drugs, then you might really like it as a way to expand your mind.

Mike

An alternate version of Earth First Manual online through Electronic Journals of Martial Arts and Sciences's mis-named "Journal of Non-lethal Combatives". This version includes some really groovy stuff that was dropped from the .pdf in the previous links. The commentary and endnotes by the EJMAS staff are also interesting.

Default Remote Viewing

Hi folks,
    Read Ronson's book and saw the premier in Dublin, with Ronson in attendance. I spoke with him after the movie as I know something about a number of the characters portrayed in the movie. Ronson takes no credit for the movie script; when you sell your story to Hollywood, you sell the rights with it, so he had no editorial control over how his story was portrayed.

The movie is a mish-mash of a number of different stories and personalities.

The key character is a gut called Jim Channon, who first promoted the conceptual idea of the First Earth Battalion.That's one story.

A completely seperate story is the one about the Army's Remote Viewing operational unit which was based at Fort Meade, Maryland, with the research component based in SRI in Palo Alto. The program ran from the early seventies, until it was declassified in 1995 and over 40,000 documents released under the Freedom of Information Act.

I tracked down one of the unit trainers, a guy called Lyn Buchanan of P>S>I Inc in Alamogordo www.crviewer.com and brought him to Ireland to give training in the technique.

It's not some psychic woo-woo stuff. It's grounded in hard science, research and operations it actually works. The program had to fight for its funding each year for 23 years, and each year they got their money.

I recently gave a lecture about it at a UFO conference in Ireland, which was recorded and uploaded onto YouTube here. Ignore the title and UFO-related stuff.

The first part is a historical background, including the story about how it was used to identify the first 'Boomer' Typhoon Class Russian submarine. In the middle is a 10 minute video of an actual remote viewing session, to show what's possible at the most basic level of training.

There's a lot more I could say on the subject, and I have a lot more stories of its use in operational circumstances, and there's more info on my blog.

Regards,
    Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Director/Project Manager
    DAEDALUS [vision¦creativity¦innovation¦change]
    DAEDALUS Blog: http://blogdaedalus.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/DAEDALUSie
    Director/Project Manager
    PSI: PURE STREAM INFORMATION
    Professional Remote Viewing Services
    PSI Blog: http://purestreaminformation.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/purestream
    “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens
    can change the world. Indeed, It is the only thing that ever has.”
    Margaret Mead
    Last edited by Jedburgh; 03-09-2010 at 03:59 PM.