Thread: Tactical campaign planning for COIN/SSTR

Default Tactical campaign planning for COIN/SSTR

I'm hoping to gain an appreciation from experienced operations folks (i.e. this community!) who can ground me in the realities of how tactical-level campaign design and planning is conducted, with a focus on the systems used and the potential for simple ways technology could help make a difference (or maybe even how they make things worse) I frequent here but haven't seen a focused discussion on this topic.

I'm researching tactical-level campaign planning for COIN/SSTR as practiced in A'stan. I've digested the relevant doctrine (principally FM 3-24, 3-07, and TRADOC Commander's Appreciation, ...) I'm a research engineer for a small R&D DOD contractor with projects at AFRL, ONR and in the past TEC/AGC.

Any insights, lessons learned, or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
    Dustin

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by burkestar View Post

I'm researching tactical-level campaign planning for COIN/SSTR as practiced in A'stan. I've digested the relevant doctrine (principally FM 3-24, 3-07, and TRADOC Commander's Appreciation, ...) I'm a research engineer for a small R&D DOD contractor with projects at AFRL, ONR and in the past TEC/AGC.
    What is tactical-level campaign planning? I understand Campaign planning, but I'm not sure what you are after. However I am sure there are many here happy to help, within the relevant OPSEC caveats.

...and is this information for commercial purposes or academic?
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Might try FM 3-24.2 Tactics in Counter Insurgency. Link below to download.

http://usacac.army.mil/BLOG/blogs/co...published.aspx

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant tactical-level campaign planning as defined by FM 3-24.2 "Tactics in COIN" (thanks slapout). Didn't see any mention of the software systems utilized to put this doctrine into practice, which is what I'm researching (for AFRL project).

I'm aware of DCGS, CIDNE, TIGR and MapHT which would be available to tactical-level commander. What other systems are used in practice? My understanding is lots of planning happens in Powerpoints. Data captured from TCAPF seems like its keyed into Excel templates. Google Earth seems to have its use as alternative to heavy-weight GIS like ArcGIS (or FalconView) due to its simplicity.

Hope that shines some more light on what I'm after.

Default contact coin center at Ft Leavenworth

They have a web site...

https://coin.army.mil

In terms of systems.... I think you'll find that folks are mostly rolling their own and figuring out how to bend existing applications to their own purpose... but then again I'm dated...

Live well and row
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

Thanks, Hacksaw. That was my impression too. The creative and unintended uses of systems is what intrigues me. For instance, many landscapers don't come to your house to give you a quote anymore, they use Google Earth to zoom on your property and give quote over the phone. Or look at the creativity of iPhone apps. What's the equivalent of "there's an app for that" in campaign planning and design, esp. at tactical level?

Quote Originally Posted by burkestar View Post
    Thanks, Hacksaw. That was my impression too. The creative and unintended uses of systems is what intrigues me. For instance, many landscapers don't come to your house to give you a quote anymore, they use Google Earth to zoom on your property and give quote over the phone. Or look at the creativity of iPhone apps. What's the equivalent of "there's an app for that" in campaign planning and design, esp. at tactical level?
    We started installing "Easy" buttons in the driver's compartments of Bradley Fighting Vehicles and in the trigger wells of M4s.

Example is better than precept.