Thread: Riverine Operations

Council Member

Default Riverine Operations

Looking for some help on riverine operations doctrine. Specifically task organization. I'm working with a foreign jungle based division that is receiving 10 man (3 crew and 7 combat loaded passengers) river boats and training. The terrain is dense jungle with limited to no roads and helicopter support is minimal so river ops are key for these guys. Their units typically operate from company to battalion sized outposts. I was thinking that for a battalion I would want the capability to transport at least a company, some number of more heavily armed security boats and some number of medevac boats.

Any links, manuals or personal insights would be most welcome.

Thanks

Mike

Mike

There is a good study of riverine ops in the Vietnam series at the Center of Military History online

I used it as a basis for teaching the subject on 2 MTTs to Bangladesh in the mid 80s.

Tom

Both the USMC and Navy have small riverine units - we had a USMC Dam Support Unit (DSU) attached in Ramadi, extremely useful asset. I'd check their doctrine.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Default Mike, back in 88

MILGP Bolivia was working with the Bolivian Navy on riverine ops. They had to bring a Navy reserve Commander on duty for an extended period because there was no active Navy capablity left from Vietnam. At the time I met him, this guy was the senior Navy guy in the MilGP.

Cheers

JohnT

Default Seen this?

Have you found this earlier thread on riverine ops :http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=8067 ?

It has some clues and links.

davidbfpo

Default Hey, finally something I have a slight clue about

You're still on AD? Shoot me a Pm with more detailed info on what you need (it should be listed in my contact info). If I can't give you all the help you need, I can point you to the guys who can.

PS: Cavguy - The DSU are no longer in existence. They were created to bridge the gap between the USMC Small Craft Company (disestablished by the USMC) and the Navy Riverine Group One. The Marines trained up some reservists and put them on the boats until the Navy was ready. RIVGRU One now has the Haditha mission. The Army does have units who have done riverine ops but only because there was no one else to do the job. The 101st, 25th ID and 10th Mtn all have conducted riverine ops.

PPS: Don't use the current Navy riverine doctrine (actually it's a CONOPS). It won't help you. The older stuff is actually better. For what you want, look more at the USMC SCC.

Council Member

Default Riverine Ops

Mike,

I spent some time working in southern Colombia near the Ecuadorian border, between 2004 and 2007. The Joint Interagency Task Force - South do have three common FOLs, and one of them is FOL Manta. If you are able to find some POCs down there, or better at the USDI / SOUTHCOM, you'll be in good shape for Latin American affairs.

Joint Center for Operations Analysis might have some good reading as well.

Best regards,
    Rach
    "Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war." Thucydides

"Philosophising about war is useless under fire." Linda Berdoll

http://phoenix.mod.bg

Council Member

Default another unclass website

Quote Originally Posted by HumanCOGRachel View Post
    Mike,

I spent some time working in southern Colombia near the Ecuadorian border, between 2004 and 2007. The Joint Interagency Task Force - South do have three common FOLs, and one of them is FOL Manta. If you are able to find some POCs down there, or better at the USDI / SOUTHCOM, you'll be in good shape for Latin American affairs.

Joint Center for Operations Analysis might have some good reading as well.

Best regards,
    Rach
    Check the following website for some ideas: http://justf.org/Program?program=Spe...%20Deployments
    "Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war." Thucydides

Council Member

Default Okay, final note: NECC Riverine Overview & POCs

Check the following website for some ideas: http://justf.org/Program?program=Spe...%20Deployments
    The Navy’s Riverine force focuses on conducting Maritime Security Operations and Theater Security Cooperation in a riverine area of operations or other suitable area. The force is capable of combating enemy riverine forces by applying fires directly, or by coordinating supporting fires. It will share battle space with the other Services in an effort to close the seams in Doctrine, Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures, and Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance.

The Navy Expeditionary Combat Command (NECC) mans, trains and equips naval forces to provide a secure area for forces and logistics to cross from maritime domain onto land. The Riverine Force is responsible for providing an offensive component to NECC and Navy operating areas. NECC provides adaptive forces packages and one stop shopping for fleet and combined forces by rapidly deploying Riverine forces into unique missions and operating environments. NECC’s Riverine force is adaptive to mission requirements, scalable and agile.

Three Riverine Squadrons under one Riverine Group Commander serve as a ready force for the Joint Forces Maritime Component Commander. Each Riverine Squadron (Active Component) consists of specially designed craft configured to operate in a hostile riverine environment. Water crafts will have multiple crews for near continuous operations and lift capacity for a small tactical unit. Manning, training and equipment will support operations versus a Level II threat, and include organic Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence, Force Protection, and logistics.

Contact Us

Command Master Chief -- cmcrivgruone@navy.mil or 757-462-7400 ext. 167

Command Career Counselor -- cccrivgruone@navy.mil or 757-462-7400 ext 161

Mailing Address:
    Commander, Riverine Group ONE
    Naval Amphibious Base, Little Creek
    2200 Gator Blvd., Bldg 3890,

Norfolk VA 23521

Council Member

Default Manta

The Joint Interagency Task Force - South do have three common FOLs, and one of them is FOL Manta.

FOL Manta was just closed down by the Correa government which led to the base signing agreement with Colombia and now the aggresive behavior by Chavez.

Council Member

Default Thanks to all

Thanks for all the help. The links are great. I've got a draft version of a boat unit task org ready. If you want to critique it let me know and I'll send it to you via email.

Chao

Mike

Mike,

I recommend that you contact someone at the Marine Corps' Security Cooperation Education and Training Center scetc.tecom.usmc.mil

Back in the day I pulled a very short stint at the unit, which was then labelled the Coalition and Special Warfare Center, and there were regional action officers who facilitated security cooperation and assistance for places like Colombia, and supported staff assignments to train Colombian security personnel in riverine operations.

Based on the credentials you hold, you may find an old hand who could put you on to other contacts for further information. As a case in point, I once laid eyes on a Riverine Operations SOP which was a very good product, and worked the whole concept from soup to nuts.
    Last edited by jcustis; 11-11-2009 at 04:57 AM.

Council Member

Default No way....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burgoyne View Post
    FOL Manta was just closed down by the Correa government which led to the base signing agreement with Colombia and now the aggresive behavior by Chavez.
    Really. Well I must be getting out of the loop.... That is somewhat disturbing. Cheers, Rach

Council Member

Default Yep. FOL Manta off our responsibility now.

Really. Well I must be getting out of the loop.... That is somewhat disturbing. Cheers, Rach
    Oh well. That does make things difficult, though not outside of expectations either. Anyways, this comment has been confirmed, thanks for telling me.

Cheers,
    Rach

A product found tucked away on this site has already been posted in an early post, but the main page is here: http://usmc.boats.dt.navy.mil/smCraft/articles.asp

It has several articles and additional information that may be of interest to those working this subject.