but as to this:

from Slap
And that has nothing to do with Islam.
"nothing to do with Islam" is not something we should assume. See above post by omarali50[*], which is excellent.

The simplest explanation is that the man was quite sane, spent time and meditation in developing the concept of defensive jihad (preventing non-Muslim troops from setting foot in Muslim lands) ala the extreme Salafists (e.g., AQ), and put that developed concept into practice.

Some (many ?) will not be able to handle that explanation if it turns out to be so. It would be a case of absolute betrayal by a field grade officer - treason in a very real sense even though he is unlikely to be charged with that.

An easier explanation for many to handle is the nutjob who snapped. Boondoggle (nice to see a post from you, ancient JA ) is not endorsing that, but he does explain how that explanation could be developed.

I am waiting for the CID and FBI folks to complete their investigation - and I expect we will also have tons of media investigation and the inevitable punditry.

-------------------------
[*] Nicely paragraphed. Now if you would put a space between the paragraphs, they would even be kinder on my old eyes.