Thread: Gunmen attack Fort Hood, Texas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by omarali50 View Post
    The immediate outbreak of Oprah style mumbojumbo on every network (including FOX where one cannot think it is motivated by fear of Islamophobia) shows that this goes beyond political correctness ...This is a culture wide phenomenon and its decadent and disturbing.
    Omarali,

I have been considering your comments over the last several days, and I can only think of the damage that Major has done for American Muslims and Islamophobia in general. Last night, clips of radical Islamists in NYC were shown over and over praising this idiot.

My suggestion to Islamic leaders would be to have an IO message clearly stating to it's followers what a selfish and unIslamic act that major did.

I certainly hope that his actions are minimized. I heard an articulate Army Major (who happened to be Muslim) on NPR yesterday rightly state that Islam had been in America since we first introduced slavery and Muslims had been fighting in the Army ever since the Revolutionary War.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Omarali,

I have been considering your comments over the last several days, and I can only think of the damage that Major has done for American Muslims and Islamophobia in general. Last night, clips of radical Islamists in NYC were shown over and over praising this idiot.
    Three years on from 9/11, almost half of Americans favored curtailing American Muslim civil liberties to some extent. Doesn't tell us much about undecideds on this matter, but as a matter of political practicality Hasan could hardly do much more damage than Islamic jihadists have already done.

My suggestion to Islamic leaders would be to have an IO message clearly stating to it's followers what a selfish and unIslamic act that major did.
    Problem is there is no leadership per se, particularly in the foreign-born Muslim community, and what national organizations there are have tainted reputations stemming from ties between their staffs, affiliates and terrorist organizations. Moreover, Islam world-wide today has a heavy investment in a number of matters of a political nature; analogous to the pro-life movement but tarnished by activists with a far worse capability and reputation for malevolent violence. I fear that we've seen the politics here crystallize to the point where we've a zero-sum game between the West and the landscape of Muslim aspiration.
    PH Cannady
    Correlate Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    [url=http://arabsandterrorism.com/resources/Restrictions_on_Civil_Libe.pdf]
    Problem is there is no leadership per se, particularly in the foreign-born Muslim community, and what national organizations there are have tainted reputations stemming from ties between their staffs, affiliates and terrorist organizations. Moreover, Islam world-wide today has a heavy investment in a number of matters of a political nature; analogous to the pro-life movement but tarnished by activists with a far worse capability and reputation for malevolent violence.
    Excellent point, and it leads into the on-going debate between centralized/de-centralized efforts in COIN. Studying through gangs and insurgencies, even when the national level efforts are failing, local leaders can influence their people on the village level. In this case, local imams or respected leaders in the community must emphasize to population that these actions are murder and illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Presley Cannady View Post
    I fear that we've seen the politics here crystallize to the point where we've a zero-sum game between the West and the landscape of Muslim aspiration.
    I don't think we're there yet (at least I hope not). We haven't seen the masses protesting in the street or significant anti-Muslim violence.

Council Member

Default 2007 PowerPoint Slides

The slides mentioned in today's WP article, Fort Hood suspect warned of threats within the ranks, are here - The Koranic World View As It Relates to Muslims in the U.S. Military.

Please note the last slide (p.50).

For all the Soldiers, Police, Family and Friends at Ft. Hood who weren't afraid to face the devil.

Go Rest High On That Mountain by Vince Gill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRyKg5xMaXA&feature=fvw