Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good-bye Abu Muqawama?

I think you might be close as to why some bloggers don't necessarily hang with us here at the Council, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be another reason as well: control. On their blogs they have total control, and there really isn't any discussion in the sense that we have here. They can turn off (or ignore) comments, which don't even necessarily show up on the main post unless you click on a link. Here they can't do that.
    Actually one of the reasons AM cited is that the blog comments over there got quite out of control. I used to go to AM for the excellent commentary and discussion, same as why I come here, and lately the place has been overrun by a rather strange bunch, often from varied political sites, who I think drove off a lot of the better commenters.

For my part, some little time ago I decided to step back from the day-to-day reporting and look at the history of the benighted land that...
    http://defenceoftherealm.blogspot.com/

Maybe the COIN-interested blogosphere is at a saturation point.

Quote Originally Posted by tequila View Post
    Actually one of the reasons AM cited is that the blog comments over there got quite out of control. I used to go to AM for the excellent commentary and discussion, same as why I come here, and lately the place has been overrun by a rather strange bunch, often from varied political sites, who I think drove off a lot of the better commenters.
    I wasn't referring to AM...I was speaking more of those who may not read comments or have the comment function turned off or locked down in some way.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Council Member

Default Hi Steve, the Screaming Moderate of SWC ...

based on your Moral Foundations results.

This is one good point, and much better than what I said:

from Steve
    I think you might be close as to why some bloggers don't necessarily hang with us here at the Council, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be another reason as well: control. On their blogs they have total control, and there really isn't any discussion in the sense that we have here. They can turn off (or ignore) comments, which don't even necessarily show up on the main post unless you click on a link. Here they can't do that.
    The valid point raised by tequila is handled by a Code of Conduct (informal) which is enforced by tradition and the moderators here. Also SWC has in effect, several hundred people who are running their own blogs here (we call them threads) - as to which, there are different cultures.

A good blog can be a "no-comments at all" blog - e.g., SCOTUSblog. But there, Lyle and the rest do pretty much straight up reporting - here is the case summary and here are the original case records. Quite different from SWC, which is mostly an opinion forum.

Interesting herd of cats here.

Mike

Come on, why this artificial distancing of SWC from bloggers?

Several SWC people are bloggers, an incomplete list is here:
    http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=47

Council Member

Default The Adventures Of Abu Muqawama

The Adventures Of Abu Muqawama

Entry Excerpt:

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Default New adventures @ the Pentagon

Well, well via FP's e-briefing today:
    FP confirmed Tuesday morning that former Camp C-NAS think tanker and Army Ranger Andrew Exum is trading in his Abu Muqawama title to become Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Middle East Policy. He'll replace Matthew Spence, who had held the position since February 2012. Exum -- who once played paintball with Hezbollah in Beirut -- was recently a consultant at the Boston Consulting Group and special advisor for Middle East policy at the Pentagon, is a fluent Arabic speaker and holds a Ph.D. from King’s College.
    davidbfpo