Thread: What is presence patrolling?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RTK View Post
    So it was an area reconnaissance.
    Took the words out of my mouth.

The planning and preparation needs to be conventional and doctrinal, even if the actual "approach" isn't quite so much.
    Last edited by jcustis; 12-13-2009 at 05:22 AM.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by jcustis View Post
    Took the words out of my mouth.

The planning and preparation needs to be conventional and doctrinal, even if the actual "approach" isn't quite so much.
    I think/know that is correct and Schmedlap is basically on the money.

Proper patrol routine from a Coy base, means 3 Platoons working really hard, and it is very demanding, so planning is everything, but it is "conventional" patrolling.

The most impressive thing I heard in recent years, was how a US Coy planned visits to the market/souk as a "raid" - but without the shooting bit. It's the boards here somewhere. Callwell would be proud.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Armchair comment

After opening the thread I have kept away as it appears to be 100% military, although Slap adds his mixed wisdom. I really liked how 'presence' became 'presents' and other labels.

Local knowledge and having an impact on the enemy is my "armchair" view of the goal.

In the open literature on the Ulster campaign I recall reading how the locally recruited Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) in rural areas became very adept at patrolling and "snap" VCPs.

My experience with getting the police to think before patrolling has not been good and was invariably considered only at low demand times, which often meant at night. It has got better slowly and talking to the public with purpose is happening, see: http://www.polfed.org/PoliceMag_1109_SupportingRole.pdf

Gaining 'atmospherics' has featured in Helmand Province, using a different name and was subject of two opposing articles in RUSI Journal sometime ago (unable to readily locate on my bookshelf).
    davidbfpo