Bring back the GWOT and make the USMC responsible for “winning” this conflict over the next forty years.

Just a quick thought to resurrect this train. As a “conventional” fighter pilot/Air Force officer at an Army school for the past year, I am an outside observer to both the Army and Marine Corps institutions.

A speaker today from USSOCOM provided a “Strategic Appreciation” chart showing the potential tensions in the world system generating instability counter to the interests of the United States. The chart indicated instability and criminal activity followed migratory/trade routes from troubled areas to the doorstep of the United States. Also clearly evident from the presentation, if not explicitly stated, was that USSOCOM required increased capability above the current 57,000 personnel in order to counter this threat and influence the unfolding global system in purposeful ways over the coming decades.

I am not an economist or an historian. But my instinct tells me that the United States is in danger of financial ruin caused in part by “imperial overstretch” and poor political decisions. The debt has reached the insanity level. Military resources are sure to decline in the coming years out of necessity for the United States to continue adequate governance at home. USSOCOM expansion currently requires sacrifices from the existing budgets of the services.

What if the USMC transitioned from an energetic and youthful force bred to take the hill to a more mature force capable of nuanced decision making and influence backed up with lethal effects? What if the USMC were given the task to fully assume responsibility to conduct Overseas Contingency Operations (GWOT)? The Marines already have significant capabilities in their favor to execute this mission: motivated; mobile by boat, air, or land; joint within the department; and a select group full of pride and tradition. These characteristics are immediately transferrable to turn this force into an effective GWOT capability for the benefit of the United States.

USMC responsibility for the GWOT would allow the Army, Air Force and Navy to focus on conventional and nuclear deterrence. This arrangement provides the highest potential for success in today’s fight while deterring or winning tomorrow’s conflict within the resource constraints of future budgets paying down massive debt.