Thread: USMC and SOCOM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Being already in SOCOM I think this might be a very good thing, given that SOCOM has been upgraded from a supporting command to a supported command. The USMC will not lose complete control over these troops, but can shift much of the cost to SOCOM.

However, it won't be long before SF recruiters show up at this USMC unit and try to recruit from them.

Council Member

There is alot more going on in FID than just training some guys in basic infantry skills.

DDilegge

Default That's my point...

Quote Originally Posted by GS
    There is alot more going on in FID than just training some guys in basic infantry skills.
    USMC relieves SOF from certain aspects of FID like "training some guys".

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDilegge
    USMC relieves SOF from certain aspects of FID like "training some guys".
    Dave, FID provides access, losing the FID mission denies access.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by GS
    Dave, FID provides access, losing the FID mission denies access.
    Very well said.

I doubt it will take the USMC element long to adapt to a new role.

DDilegge

Default Understood, but not my point...

The old paradigms of FID and SOF have changed and we have to keep up and not just assume it is business as usual - but on a global and consistent scale.

I fully understand the points raised here concerning FID as an integral part of SPECOPS and agree.

Still, there is not enough SOF to conduct all the traditional missions on a global basis. My suggestion was that conventional forces (USMC in this instance) take over the “less snake-eater” missions (training for one) while SOF continues to do what it does best. Under a JTF, and if well-planned and executed, this relationship could be codified and appropriate doctrine, TO&E, and TTP established.

All that said, it is a moot point. A USMC conference next week will hammer out the details on this done deal. As a good Marines, the USMC will salute sharply and carry out the new mission to the best of it's capabilities. Our nation will not be disappointed...

Council Member

Dave,
    Handing over the training mission has been tried several times in the past. In just the time I was active, I remember:
    USMC telling Ted Kennedy they could do it and us having to do a dog and pony.
    An experiment involving Puerto Ricans from the NG in Central America.
    SEALs trying to do FID and train HN troops.
    Drill Sergeants (Spanish-speakers) trying something somewhere.

None of it worked for various reasons. Language is often thought to be the critical path. My experience differs greatly.

I have friends in Iraq that frequently complain about the training being conducted over there.

I was fortunate enough to have worked with the USMC on several occasions. When they adapt to this new mission, I think they will be a great asset - but some adapting will have to be done. I look forward to watching the Marines attack this mission with the professionalism they have always shown every time I have had the priviledge to watch them work.

I firmly believe this will be a good thing for both sides of the house.

I'm not sure what you mean by the old paradigms of FID have changed - could you expound?

We have a saying we frequently tell the new guys - "If you can't do FID, seek life elsewhere."
    Last edited by NDD; 12-11-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Council Member

Default NDD reply

I may have done a poor job of representing my position about losing two battalions worth of Marine INF, and my overall impression of SOF. I understand the utility of SOF; however, dont think that they will sink or swim based of the addition or lack of a USMC component. On the other hand, if the USMC loses 2 battalions worth of Marines comprised mostly of senior leaders, I think this will significantly degrade our capabilities. I am not advocated adding two more USMC battalions, but I am suggesting that the USMC should be left alone as is.