Thread: 75 Year Old Reservist on Third GWOT Deployment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Only applicable if he is on the retired list.

He may or may not be, article doesn't say. Anyone who enlists or is accessed as an Officer has an eight year obligation, active or reserve in any mix. If he enlisted back in DS/DS days, say in 90, his obligation expired in 98.

Involuntary recall for 'vets' as the article states thus are good only for that eight year period. Rarely, there may be case where there was some obligated service due to special training or a promotion that was waived so the person could be released from active duty and then they could be called back to fulfill the obligation -- but that is really unusual.

Active or Reserve retirees OTOH are obligated from date of retirement to age 65.

Probably a screwup...

Council Member

Ken, someone on another site looked that 50 year old up on AKO. He is a CW3.

Default Heh. That almost certainly means he's retired.

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    Ken, someone on another site looked that 50 year old up on AKO. He is a CW3.
    Hope he enjoys his tour...

All that retainer pay -- and that's what Retired Pay is, retainer pay, it is not a pension or an annuity -- is advance payment for this possibility...

Thanks, Seth.

Default Retirement Orders Para 3.

"As a retired Marine you may be ordered to active duty without your consent."

What is odd about the Corps is that when you leave active duty between 20 and 30 you are not 'retired' but instead placed in the Fleet Marine Corps Reserve. A similar paragraph appears in your orders to the FMCR. Then after you hit 30 years from initial enlistment you get your big certificate and retired pin.

Course not long after 9/11 I tried to enlist in the NG but was told by the recruiter I no doubt had an RE-2 code on my DD214, which I do, and it means "Ineligible for reenlistment. Recommended for reenlistment but ineligible because of status: Fleet Reservist Retired." So they'll bring back a 75 year old but brush off a then motivated 40 something year old. Go figure.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."