Thread: Guerrillas Near Washington DC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Guerrillas Near Washington DC

It strikes me as being more than a little ironic that little is said outside of historical circles about how in 1863-1865 Lt. Col. John S. Mosby's 43rd Battalion of Partisan Rangers kept what are now the Virginia suburbs of Washington DC in a state of turmoil. The following is an example of what was happening in the backyard of our capital city.

Loudoun Co., October 19, 1863

GENERAL: I did not receive your letter of instructions until late last Tuesday night, on my return from an expedition below.

I collected as many men as I could at so short notice, and on Thursday, 15th, came down into Fairfax, where I have been operating ever since in the enemy's rear.

I have captured over 100 horses and mules, several wagons loaded with valuable stores, and between 75 and 100 prisoners, arms, equipments, etc. Among the prisoners were 5 captains and 1 lieutenant.

I had a sharp skirmish yesterday with double my number of cavalry near Annandale, in which I routed them, capturing the captain commanding, 6 or 7 men and horses. I have so far sustained no loss. It has been my object to detain the troops that are occupying Fairfax, by annoying their communications and preventing them from operating in front. Yesterday two divisions left Centreville and went into camp at Fox's Mill. There are three regiments of cavalry at Vienna. I contemplate attacking a cavalry camp at Falls Church to-morrow night.

Respectfully, your obedient servant,
    JNO. S. MOSBY, Major

[Endorsement]

HDQRS, CAVALRY CORPS, ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA, October 26, 1863

Respectfully forwarded.

Major Mosby and command continue to do splendid service.

J.E.B. STUART, Major-General

Source: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series 1, Volume 29, Part 1, pp 492-493

Default Shenandoah Valley and Loudoun County

CHAFFIN'S BLUFF, August 16, 1864.

Colonel Mosby reports that he attacked the enemy's supply train near Berryville on the 13th; captured and destroyed 75 loaded wagons and secured over 200 prisoners, including several officers, between 500 and 600 horses and mules, upward of 200 beef-cattle, and many valuable stores. Considerable number of the enemy killed and wounded. His loss 2 killed and 3 wounded.

R. E. LEE,
    General.

Honorable J. A. SEDDON,
    Secretary of War.

CHAFFIN'S BLUFF, October 9, 1864.

Colonel Mosby reports that a body of about a thousand of the enemy advanced up the Manassas road on the 4th [with] trains of cars loaded with railroad material and occupied Salem and Rectortown. He attacked them at Salem, defeating them, capturing fifty prisoners, all their baggage, camp equipage, stores, &c., and killed and wounded a considerable number. His loss, two wounded. Enemy is entrenched at Rectortown with two long trains of cars. The railroad is torn up and bridges burned in their rear and all communications cut.

R. E. LEE.

Honorable JAMES A. SEDDON,
    Secretary of War.

CHAFFIN'S BLUFF, October 16, 1864.

On the 14th instant Colonel Mosby struck the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad at Duffield's; destroyed U. S. military train consisting of locomotive and ten cars, securing twenty prisoners and fifteen horses. Among the prisoners are two paymasters with $168,000 in Government funds.

R. E. LEE.

Honorable JAMES A. SEDDON,
    Secretary of War.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 43, Part 1, page 633

WAR DEPARTMENT,
    Washington, October 14, 1864.

General STEVENSON,

Harper's Ferry:

It is reported from Martinsburg that the railroad has been torn up and a paymaster and his funds captured. When and where did this occur, and have any measures been taken for recapture? Immediate answer.

EDWIN M. STANTON,
    Secretary of War.

HARPER'S FERRY, W. VA.,
    October 14, 1864.

General Seward reported by telegraph this morning that the express train going west was captured at point two miles east of Kearneysville by a party of rebel raiders 100 strong. The passengers were robbed and train burned. Major Moore, paymaster, with his funds, was captured. As soon as they destroyed the train, he reports that they moved off in the direction of Winchester. i immediately sent toward Charlestown, to endeavor to intercept them, all the cavalry at this post-about 100, poorly mounted-and have but little hopes of their coming up with enemy. General Seward also dispatched two detachments in pursuit. I have not heard from any of them up to this hour. Trains have been sent to point of attack to repair damages, the track being partially destroyed. Will advise you of all particulars as soon as received.

Respectfully,

JOHN D. STEVENSON,
    Brigadier-General, Commanding.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 43, Part 2, p. 368

Default Incident at Fairfax Courthouse

PROVOST-MARSHAL'S OFFICE,
    Fairfax Court-House, Va., March 9, 1863-3.30 a. m.

Captain Mosby, with his command, entered this town this morning at 2 a. m. They captured my patrols, horses, &c. They took Brigadier-General Stougton and horses, and all his men detached from his brigade. They took every horse that could be found, public and private, and the commanding officer of the post, Colonel Johnstone, of the Fifth New York Cavalry, made his escape from them in a nude state by accident. They searched for me in every direction, but being on the Vienna road, visiting outposts, I made my escape.

L. L. O'CONNOR,
    Lieutenant, Provost-Marshal.

P. S.-All our available cavalry forces are in pursuit of them.

Major L. HUNT,
    Asst. Adjt. General, General Heintzelman's Headquarters.

HEADQUARTERS SECOND BRIGADE, CASEY'S DIVISION,
    Fairfax Station, Va., March 9, 1863.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report that this morning about 3 a. m. a squadron of Stuart's cavalry entered this place. As far as I can learn, they captured all our guards and vedettes along the road, and surrounded these headquarters, where they captured Brigadier General E. H. Stoughton, as well as some of his servants. Five mounted orderlies, detailed here, were captured, together with horses, both public and private. The reports is they came into our lines with the countersign, so that no obstruction was offered to their entrance. The officer commanding the party first went to the telegraph office, and captured th operator, and afterward the general. One of his aides was also captured, but escaped. They left about 4 o'clock, taking all prisoners with them.

Lieutenant-Colonel Johnstone, commanding Cavalry Brigade, is in pursuit, but no report of his success in coming up with the enemy has yet been received.

I have the honor to be, captain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

WM. H. HILL,
    Captain and Assistant Adjutant-General.

Captain R. N. SCOTT,
    Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

CULPEPER, VA., March 10, 1863.

Captain Mosby has just returned from a scout, having captured Brigadier-General Stroughton, 1 captain, and 30 privates. He entered Fairfax Court-House and took them from their beds-General Stroughton, and the adjutant-general to Percy Wyndham, who was sleeping in Wyndham's bed. Wyndham, is in Washington.

FITZ. LEE,
    Brigadier-General.

General S. COOPER.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 25, Part 1, pp 43-44

NOVEMBER 11, 1864.

Major General P. H. SHERIDAN,
    Commanding U. S. Forces in the Valley:

GENERAL: Some time in the month of September, during my absence from my command, six of my men who had been captured by your forces were hung and shot in the streets of Front Royal, by the order and in the immediate presence of Brigadier-General Custer. Since then another, captured by a Colonel Powell on a plundering expedition into Rappahannock, was also hung. A label affixed to the coast of one of the murdered men declared that "this would be the fate of Mosby and all his men." Since the murder of my men not less that 700 prisoners, including many officers of high rank, captured from your army by this command, have been forwarded to Richmond, but the execution of my purpose of retaliation was deferred in order, as far as possible, to confine its operation to them den of Custer and Powell. Accordingly on the 6th instant seven of your men were, by my order, executed on the Valley pike, your highway of travel. Hereafter any prisoners falling into my hands will be treated with the kindness due to their condition, unless some new act of barbarity shall compel me reluctantly to adopt a course of policy repulsive to humanity.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

JNO. S. MOSBY,
    Lieutenant-Colonel.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 43, Part 2, p 920

Default Vicinity of Dulles Airport

HEADQUARTERS CAVALRY BRIGADE,
    Vienna, Va., April 23, 1864.

CAPTAIN: I have the honor to report all quiet in this vicinity. The pickets near Hunter's Mills were attacked about 4 a. m. to-day by a dismounted party, with a loss of 9 horses and 3 men captured and 1 man wounded. No resistance was made by the pickets, only three shots being fired. A party started out about reveille this morning, as soon as the news of the attack reached camp, and after finding the trail started after the party in rapid pursuit, came in sight of them about 10 miles of Aldie, and chased them up the pike through the town, the rebels scattering in all directions.

Lieutenant W. H. Hunter, of Company A, Mosby's battalion, was taken prisoner during the chase and brought to this camp. Two horses were retaken and one shot. One man was wounded slightly. The party consisted of 50 men, under the command of Mosby himself. They came down to the vicinity of the picket and crossed the creek mounted, where a portion of them dismounted and advanced on foot to the attack.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

C. R. LOWELL, JR.,
    Colonel Second Massachusetts Cavalry, Commanding Cav. Brigade

Captain W. A. LA MOTTE,
    Assistant Adjutant-General.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 33, p. 308

Default Hunting for High-Value Targets, 1864-Style

HARPER'S FERRY, VA., December 29, 1864.

Honorable E. M. STANTON,
    Secretary of War:

I have satisfactory evidence that Mosby was actually shot near Middleburg, Londoun County, as reported. He is not dead, but severely, if not mortally, wounded. His death was reported with a view to direct attention from him whilst wounded. He was shot by a Federal scout.

JNO. D. STEVENSON,
    Brigadier-General.

HARPER'S FERRY, December 29, 1864.

Major-General SHERIDAN:

I have very satisfactory evidence that Mosby was actually shot in a house near Middleburg. He is not dead, but severely or mortally wounded. He was lying in Middleburg and is either there yet or at the house of a man by the name of Joe or Jim Blackwell, about five miles from Piedmont, to which my informant thinks he has been removed. The story of his death is not true, but given out to prevent his capture while wounded. He stays at Middleburg at the house of a man by the name of Rogers.

Respectfully,
    JNO. D. STEVENSON,
    Brigadier-General.

HEADQUARTERS MIDDLE MILITARY DIVISION, December 29, 1864.

General STEVENSON:

Mosby was shot by a party from General Augur's command at Rector's Cross-Roads. There were two or three men in the party; they fired at Mosby and some of his men through the windows, wounding Mosby in the abdomen. He was then moved to the house of Widow Glasscock. Torbert tried to catch him there, but he had been taken away in an ambulance. Torbert searched the house of Rogers, at Middleburg, but he was not there. Mosby's wound is mortal. He and his party were eating supper when the attack was made on the house by General Augur's men.

P. H. SHERIDAN,
    Major-General.

[Unrelated correspondence omitted.]

WINCHESTER, VA., December 30, 1864. (Received 8 p. m.)

Major-General AUGUR;

Your telegram of 26th reached me to-day. A small scouting party from the force you sent wounded Mosby at Rector's Cross-roads. The wound was in the side, the ball passing around the abdomen; it was a severe wound, but not mortal. General Torbert tried to catch him, but did not succeed; thinks he was taken off to Richmond. I sent to-day Devin's brigade, of Merritt's division, to the vicinity of Lovettsville to take post; it is 2,000 strong.

P. H. SHERIDAN,
    Major-General.

HDQRS. DEPARTMENT OF WASHINGTON, 22ND ARMY CORPS, December 30, 1864.

Major-General SHERIDAN,
    Commanding Middle Military Division:

Richmond papers of the 27th report Mosby's death as having occurred at Charlottesville. I have had the box for Mrs. Mary sent to Captain Parsons.

C. C. AUGUR,
    Major-General, Commanding.

Source: Official Records, Series 1, Volume 43, Part 2, pp. 838-840
    Last edited by Pete; 03-18-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Formatting