Thread: TRADOC Losing Its Edge?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuchs
    What's "taking a knee" in this context? To rest?
    Giving up or surrendering, more or less.
    Steve, I think in this case the context did imply taking a break from operational assignments, or MTO&E units - or in today's terms deployments.

However, I have not seen that to be the case, Niel Smith is an example of a guy who prior to attending ILE was in a generating force assignment to help Army integrate COIN lessons into big Army. Niel not only benefitted Army by this assignment (and through his efforts many others), but also got some insights into how other parts of the Army work which I think benefitted him and may provide him with insights as he moves on to increasing positions of responsibility and authority.

There was a discussion on another thread about guys working in post BQ (branch qualifying) assignments as part of TRADOC and how they are selected - this not only includes time at Leavenworth, or the various branch school instructor positions, but also assignments in the NCR (National Capital Region), ACS (Advanced Civil Schooling), service academies, CTCs (Combat Training Centers) etc. Add to that a growing requirment for Army to augment MTO&E units and staff in theater to meet requirments for advisors, contracting officers, and a host of other functions and pretty soon Army is running the marathon at sprint speed. Indeed there are holes all over, so I'm not sure anybody is really taking a knee - but I do know that there are an awful lot of balls in the air, and I'm not sure we know which ones are glass, or why they are glass - hell, they may all be glass.

Best, Rob
    Last edited by Rob Thornton; 12-17-2009 at 12:26 AM.