Thread: TRADOC Losing Its Edge?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    "Taking a knee" generally refers to taking a breather. "Tapping out" would be the proper phrase for quitting. I don't know how it can be considered a "put down" to consider a non-operational assignment to be "taking a knee." It's just an acknowledgment that the tempo in operational assignments is far more intense than a non-deployable position.
    I don't know. During my year in TRADOC I thought the tempo was much higher than it was when I was deployed. I mean, much of my 'operational' time was taken up in sitting around, waiting, watching turbaned men lounging around mud buildings, trying to stay awake, chatting, etc. Yeah, the days were long and no days off, and every now and then somebody tried to kill me. But high optempo?

I'm pretty sure I spent more time engaged in actual work behind a desk at Fort Knox then I did in Afghanistan. I imagine there are some 'take a knee' type jobs out there, somewhere...but there aren't many.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Yeah, the days were long and no days off, and every now and then somebody tried to kill me. But high optempo?

I'm pretty sure I spent more time engaged in actual work behind a desk at Fort Knox then I did in Afghanistan.
    I'm not sure how to square your insights with your question.

Long days + no days off + less time with family < shorter days + days off + more time with family?

I guess the work behind the desk sucks a lot more. But I'm thinking that being able to take frequent showers, getting to eat real food, having a somewhat more normal sleep schedule, actually getting some days off, and having more predictable hours has got to more than offset the added mental strain.

Council Member

Default Sort of agree with both Schmedlap and Eden

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    I'm not sure how to square your insights with your question.

Long days + no days off + less time with family < shorter days + days off + more time with family?

I guess the work behind the desk sucks a lot more. But I'm thinking that being able to take frequent showers, getting to eat real food, having a somewhat more normal sleep schedule, actually getting some days off, and having more predictable hours has got to more than offset the added mental strain.
    I didn't much like my unaccompanied year flying in the Sinai, so can't imagine repeat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

On the other hand, in a TRADOC environment, it's stressful making major revisions to 20 collective tasks followed by development of nearly 700 slides and 200 pages of lesson plans for training within a six month period.

There are things learned from both a TDA and TOE assignments.