Thread: Pregnancy - a court martial offense?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Pregnancy - a court martial offense?

Interesting story. I can see both sides of this issue so am a bit conflicted.

A top US commander is threatening soldiers who fall pregnant on active service with jail.

Under the new policy, troops expecting a baby face court martial and a possible prison term – and so do the men who made them pregnant.

And the rule applies to married couples at war together, who are expected to make sure their love lives do not interfere with duty.

Usual US Army policy is to send pregnant soldiers home from combat zones within 14 days.

But Major General Anthony Cucolo, who runs US operations in northern Iraq, issued the new orders because he said he was losing too many women with critical skills.

He needed the threat of court martial and jail time as an extra deterrent, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    I can see both sides of this issue so am a bit conflicted.
    It looks like a disaster in the making. I recall many soldiers at Ft. Benning suddenly becoming pregnant prior to orders for Korea. There wasn't a clear answer then.

Do they actually intend on jailing pregnant service members ? Reduced to E1 and jailed til child birth

And they cannot spend the night with a member of the opposite sex, unless married or with express permission.
    I reckon there'll be a caveat soon specifying the use of "issue" condoms
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

It's about fricken time.

I'm reminded of an earlier thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    But I also know that pregnancies in our MSB and FSB's had an uncanny correlation with deployments, to include NTC rotations prior to OIF or combat deployments once OIF kicked off - often times the pregnant Soldiers were not married and were hard pressed to narrow down the list of possible baby-daddies to what a reasonable person would regard as a short list. The size of the pregnant PT formation should be considered an EEFI because it is the best indicator of a unit's deployment timeline.

Our current system seems to be an honor system that lacks any honor code by which it can be self-policing. There are legitimate unplanned pregnancies, to be sure. But the number of unmarried Soldiers who fill the ranks of the pregnant PT formation, coincidentally at the same opportune time, many of whom cannot say with certainty who impregnated them, suggests that the honor system is being taken advantage of.
    I would also add that we're sending a conflicting message here. I had to occasionally visit the larger FOBs on my second deployment. We would take the opportunity to buy random stuff in the PX that the supply system was not responsive to. It always amazed me to see an entire aisle of cologne, perfume, lingerie, and condoms. Outside of the PX there was a beauty salon. Seriously, I don't mean just a fancy barber shop. It was a full-blown beauty salon. The list of amenities that appealed primarily to preening one's self in preparation for a romp in the sack or just going out on date nights was incredible to behold. There was no tanning booth, if I recall correctly, but there was plenty of room around the pool to sunbathe (albeit, that ample space filled up quickly with bikini-clad Soldiers fresh from the beauty salon).
    Last edited by Schmedlap; 12-21-2009 at 08:37 PM.

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. I imagine certain ideological positions on the left and right will be upset about this rule.
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. I imagine certain ideological positions on the left and right will be upset about this rule.
    Heh. I'm trying to think of something that those people don't get upset about.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Heh. I'm trying to think of something that those people don't get upset about.
    So true!
    "The status quo is not sustainable. All of DoD needs to be placed in a large bag and thoroughly shaken. Bureaucracy and micromanagement kill."
    -- Ken White

"With a plan this complex, nothing can go wrong." -- Schmedlap

"We are unlikely to usefully replicate the insights those unencumbered by a military staff college education might actually have." -- William F. Owen

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by IntelTrooper View Post
    Unfotunately, I think you are right. I don' think this will last too long.

Adam L