Thread: Cameron's "Avatar" Insulting to the Armed Forces?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My guess: Everybody who listens to talk radio every day will find some reason to hate this flick. Most of the rest will sit back and enjoy the ride. My wife and I everybody we know who's seen it loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by denismurf View Post
    My guess: Everybody who listens to talk radio every day will find some reason to hate this flick. Most of the rest will sit back and enjoy the ride. My wife and I everybody we know who's seen it loved it.
    Thank you - sounds like an over-academic attempt to "read" into things. The film obviously didn't offend too many folks as it just passed Titanic to become the highest grossest film of all time.
    Last edited by Infanteer; 01-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Infanteer View Post
    Thank you - sounds like an over-academic attempt to "read" into things. The film obviously didn't offend too many folks as it just passed Titanic to become the highest grossest film of all time.
    Honi soit qui mal y pense? I enjoyed it, perhaps I was one of the - beati - pauperes spiritu.

Firn

I thought was movie was pretty good, especially visually. There were some obvious current references, especially the line where the head bad guy declares, "We will fight terror with terror!" Was I the only one very confused by this? But this review of it I found hilarious:

http://thisrecording.com/today/2009/...ng-or-two.html

But the more blatant lesson of Avatar is not that American imperialism is bad, but that in fact it’s necessary. Sure there are some bad Americans—the ones with tanks ready to mercilessly kill the Na’vi population, but Jake is set up as the real embodiment of the American spirit. He learns Na’vi fighting tactics better than the Na’vi themselves, he takes the King’s daughter for his own, he becomes the only Na’vi warrior in centuries to tame this wild dragon bird thing. Even in someone else’s society the American is the chosen one. He’s going to come in, lead your army, #### your princesses, and just generally save the day for you. Got it? This is how we do it.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 01-26-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Add quote marks

Quote Originally Posted by bellz View Post
    Even in someone else’s society the American is the chosen one. He’s going to come in, lead your army, #### your princesses, and just generally save the day for you. Got it? This is how we do it."
    Classic!
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Quote Originally Posted by bellz View Post
    ... the American is the chosen one. He’s going to come in, lead your army, #### your princesses, and just generally save the day for you.
    "Crush your enemies, see them scattered before you, and hear the lamentations of their wives and daughters as you clasp them to your breast."

To-MAH-to, To-MA-to. Hell, the quote from the review sounds like something Patton would say.

The Right Has Avatar Wrong From the CATO Institute

Forget its left-wing themes. At its core, the movie is about defending property rights — something conservatives should embrace.

But conservatives have focused on the ideas that the film embodies. In National Review, Frederica Mathewes-Green mocked its dreamy vision of "the apparently eternal conflict between gentle people with flowers in their hair and technology-crazed meanies."
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default Scientologists in space...

"Even in someone else’s society the American is the chosen one. He’s going to come in, lead your army, #### your princesses, and just generally save the day for you. Got it? This is how we do it."

I haven't seen it, and more than likely won't (can't stand Cameron and never watch anything that has been so hyped up that I feel like I've seen it already anyway) but...sounds a lot like Last Samurai (in Space)!!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    can't stand Cameron
    You didn't like Aliens? (One of the) best science fiction movies. Ever.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.