Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cameron's "Avatar" Insulting to the Armed Forces?

The Right Has Avatar Wrong From the CATO Institute

Forget its left-wing themes. At its core, the movie is about defending property rights — something conservatives should embrace.

But conservatives have focused on the ideas that the film embodies. In National Review, Frederica Mathewes-Green mocked its dreamy vision of "the apparently eternal conflict between gentle people with flowers in their hair and technology-crazed meanies."
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default Scientologists in space...

"Even in someone else’s society the American is the chosen one. He’s going to come in, lead your army, #### your princesses, and just generally save the day for you. Got it? This is how we do it."

I haven't seen it, and more than likely won't (can't stand Cameron and never watch anything that has been so hyped up that I feel like I've seen it already anyway) but...sounds a lot like Last Samurai (in Space)!!

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tukhachevskii View Post
    can't stand Cameron
    You didn't like Aliens? (One of the) best science fiction movies. Ever.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

And what's wrong with T2 or the original Terminator?

I haven't seen Dances with Navi and probably won't, but Cameron can shoot a good action film. Seriously, compare his stuff with crap like Michael Bay.

Council Member

Default Clarification re:Cameron

Yes: loved T1, hated T2 (for a Terminator Arnie did precious little terminating)

Yes: loved Aliens.

No: Can't stand Cameron (too "schmalzy" for my liking especially with Titanic) but, OTOH, I have recently seen Transformers (1&2) and have to say that Bay did a good job in terms of action (on the narrative side, not so much).

As for the portrayal of the military in Hollywood I would like to see soemthing "righteous and hopefull" for a change

Anyway, I hear that one of my boyhood comic favourites is comming to the big screen soon (hopefully, not the disaster that Judge Dredd was).......i.e., Rogue Trooper.

regards

Council Member

Default The Military, celluloid and product placement...

Now I'm on my hobby horse....

I was struck by the "product placement" the military or the M-I-C manages to accomplish especially in recent films.

1. Die Hard 4 features an implausible chase sequence towards the end featuring the F-35 JSF (I had always favoured the Boeing model, if you were wondering, but scales of economy are as important I suppose)

2. In the rebooted Transformers Starscream in now as F-22 (previously an F-15 if I recall correctly) and in the final action sequence in the first film a group of squaddies or SOF operators desparately call for air support from an ... F-22 rather than A-10s which, IMO, would be perfectly adequate in the Transformer-busting role The SOF operators are also lavishly equipped with Milkor MGL-40s.

3. Similarly, I watched District 9 last night (IMO one of the best Sci-fi films I have seen in a long while). Yet, in the deleted scenes, there is a short segment, only 20 secs or so, where a PMC operator attached to MNU grabs a Denel-PAW20 20mm grenade launcher from his truck, oogles it appreciatively (or erotically if you're a gun lover), and then runs off to join the firefight with an alien "mech".
    Last edited by Tukhachevskii; 02-11-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Council Member

As for the portrayal of the military in Hollywood I would like to see soemthing "righteous and hopefull" for a change
    Although loath to quote myself an exampleof the above would be something like a faithful rendition of Heinlien's Starship Troopers rather than that abomination that Verhoeven turned it into. Or like those old WWII classics I grew up with..... I would love Vulcan 607 (a book about the famous long range bomber attack of Port Stanley by "antiquated" Vulcan bombers during the Falklands War)turned into a film for instance in the vein of the dambusters or Mosquito Sqn (you get the drift). (At the expense of turning into a reviewer form Empire magazine all rants are hereby expended...for now)
    Last edited by Tukhachevskii; 02-11-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Tarentino could do a historically accurate flick about "Rogers' Rangers".