Thread: Yemen - a catch all thread for 2007-2011

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yemen and HOA

Counterterrorism in Yemen currently falls under the operational jurisdiction of Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, and CJTF-HOA falls under AFRICOM. Yemen is geographically under CENTCOM's area of response.

Terrorist attacks in Yemen are up over the last few months, and Gen. Petraeus claims that Yemen is a safe haven for al-Qaeda. Whose shoulders will the problem fall on--AFRICOM or CENTCOM? I ask because there is an overlapping interest, and this will likely be a bureaucratic fight for additional AFRICOM funding in the near future. Thoughts?

Default Welcome aboard...

Hi Ridek,

Obviously, you're wicked smart. Give us some time to absorb. Please take a moment to introduce yourself here. Which led to the following being posted:

I am an undergrad at American University, double majoring in International Relations (focusing on US Foreign Policy), and International Business. I also intern for the Hudson Institute Center for Political-Military Analysis in D.C. Most of my study/work has been on security in the Horn of Africa and the Middle East, and the U.S. intelligence community.

v/r

Mike
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 04-08-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add text from intro thread

Council Member

Rick,

Welcome to the board!

This sort of thing isn't unprecedented. EUCOM, PACOM and CENTCOM had some overlap in the past. If it hasn't happened already, I'm sure the two commands are working on MOU's to define responsibilities.