Thread: Explosive device set off aboard airliner at Detroit Wayne International Airport

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Man skirts security at NJ airport; flights stopped
    and they were so busy with tougher screening that this dude just walked on by
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default More nuttiness...

From a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed by L.Gordon Crovitz, 3 Jan 10:
    "Timothy Healy, the head of the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center, explained the unit's "reasonable suspicion" standard like this:

"Reasonable suspicion requires 'articulable' facts which, taken together with rational inferences, reasonably warrant a determination that an individual is known or suspected to be or has been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to, terrorism and terrorist activities, and is based on the totality of the circumstances. Mere guesses or inarticulate 'hunches' are not enough to constitute reasonable suspicion."

If this sounds like legalistic language, it is. Indeed, a quick Web search was a reminder that this language is adapted from Terry v. Ohio, a landmark Supreme Court case in 1968 that determined when Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable searches allows the police to frisk civilians or conduct traffic stops. In other words, foreign terrorists have somehow now been granted Fourth Amendment reasonableness rights that courts intended to protect Americans being searched by the local police." (emphasis added /kw)
    LINK.

Using law enforcement organizations, techniques and rules in a futile attempt to counter espionage and terrorism is just STOOPID!!!

We're nuts...

P.S.

Happy New Year, Stan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    From a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed by L.Gordon Crovitz, 3 Jan 10:LINK.

Using law enforcement organizations, techniques and rules in a futile attempt to counter espionage and terrorism is just STOOPID!!!

We're nuts...

P.S.

Happy New Year, Stan.
    Actually there is an LE rule that should be used..... exigent circumstances......which means there are times when situations and people are so dangerous that you DON'T follow the normal rules. Like blowing up planes,buildings,countries.

Default But Slap...

that would require the Feds to, you know, actually, like think...

that would require the Feds to, you know, actually, like think...
    Ken, I am telling ya it is the suit Put a uniform on a cop and he acts like a cop, put street clothes on him and and acts like an undercover cop.......put a suit on a cop and he acts like.......a bureaucrat

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Actually there is an LE rule that should be used..... exigent circumstances......
    Slap, I've heard of this very same situation (my brother-in-law is a LEO with the Capitol Police). The perp was in a building and the LEOs collectively decided that my Bro's 92-pound Shepperd should go first

... Sure as Sierra, the dude came outta the building pronto

Those circumstances that would cause a reasonable person to believe that entry (or other relevant prompt action) was necessary to prevent physical harm to the officers or other persons
    P.S.
    Happy New Year, Stan.
    Hey Ken, Back at ya !
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default An opinionated Muslim (UK) viewpoint

Somewhat long and challenging on the Saudi role, but makes a series of points on the 'new' TSA actions, under the title: 'Muslim profiling is a recipe for insecurity: The profiling of ordinary Muslims loses the support of the very people we need to contain al-Qaeda'.

Link:http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...security/print
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Legal capabilities available vs those used

The last few posts point up a problem that permeates the entire "Small Wars" arena. The Laws of War and the Rule of Law - as rationally and reasonably interpreted, and which are available to the US for those who think it through - provide all of the capabilities needed. Unfortunately, those who are doing the deciding seem fixated on a "one or the other approach" - using the Laws of War only, or using the Rule of Law only.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Slap, I've heard of this very same situation (my brother-in-law is a LEO with the Capitol Police). The perp was in a building and the LEOs collectively decided that my Bro's 92-pound Shepperd should go first

... Sure as Sierra, the dude came outta the building pronto

Hey Stan, good for your brother!!!!!!! Ya know I almost got talked into joining the Capitol Police........funny story to but I will tell ya when you get back home