Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
Everything is not on the table. We're not going to go nuclear and we're not going to invade. We know it and the Iranians know it.
Six months before the invasion of Iraq I remember the pundits and analysts saying that there would be no invasion. A lot can happen in six months. A lot can happen in three months.

I certainly hope it does not come to either but I can guarantee you that there are plans for both right there on the shelf.

But how do you know with such certainly that they are both off the table?

An alternative opinion might be that a nuclear-armed Iran could be contained in the same way that the nuclear-armed Soviet Union was contained, or China, or North Korea... by the assurance that first use of the weapon would result in absolute destruction. It's worked before.
Yes there are a lot of people saying a lot of things (some even get paid for it). I'm not sure of the use of the word contained here.

Perhaps Israel would take the view that they have too much too lose from being on the receiving end of a first strike even if they could get off a second strike in reply. Where the potential opponent already has a nuke then there is no alternative. But where there is the possibility to prevent a potential opponent from obtaining nuclear weapons in the first place one would be absolutely incompetent not to.

Given the Israeli capacity for retaliation and the lack of any possible gain to Iran even if a strike on Israel were successful, an attack on Israel doesn't seem a likely eventuality.
After having been on the receiving end of a first strike (the aim of which would be to inflict maximum damage and to neutralise or minimise any second strike capability) there would not be much of Israel left.

Thank you; I hope that is clear enough to settle that issue.
Nowhere near. You need to apply your mind in a more disciplined manner. Try to be more formal in your approach.

I think you have run out of steam on this one so why not consider why an effort was not made to "buy" the Pakistan nuclear capacity in return for the billions in aid needed after the recent floods? Another chance let slip by these 'smart' guys in the White House and State Department?