Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
What is the evidence of that? My understanding is that Israel is deliberately vague about whether it has nuclear weapons.

Added:
Just saw this at information dissemination: http://www.informationdissemination....09/israel.html

One last comment: I'm assuming that Israel would strike with aircraft - if so, how would Israel be able to strike Iran without us knowing about it and cooperating? Don't we still control airspace over Iraq? Wouldn't Syria, Turkey, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia have the capability to thwart any attempts to use their airspace? Given the wide margin for error in an attack on Iran (negotiating airspaces of unfriendly neighbors) wouldn't Iran likely have enough early warning to defend? Or do we think Israel is going to lob long-range missiles?
Yes they would probably need to overfly Iraq. Even if they could somehow do it without US approval, I doubt very much that we would escape blame/retaliation. For a very detailed analysis of strike options (outdated now that the facility at Qum is out, but they targeted the centrifuges at Natanz, the heavy water reactors at Arak, and the uranium conversion facility at Isfahan) check out "Osirak Redux" in International Security.