Thread: MG Flynn (on intell mainly)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Planner View Post
    We are there until we are not---absent a substantive change in conditions.
    I suppose the next question is whether we have the capacity to force any substantive change in conditions, or at least any substantive change that would be consistent with the interests that put us there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    I suppose the next question is whether we have the capacity to force any substantive change in conditions, or at least any substantive change that would be consistent with the interests that put us there in the first place.
    The above quotation exposes the Catch-22 of the situation. If we (meaning outsiders, not the Afghan population) have the capacity to force a substantive change and exercise that capacity, then we have made no substantive change at all. We will have merely replaced one illegitimate government with another. Meaningful and legitimate change must come from within the AOR as an un-coerced expression of what the people living there want or are at least willing to leave with sans dysfunctional expressions of discontent (AKA violence).
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris