Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
Hmmm, I'm surprised to hear that. The R1 is really just a SA made FN FAL. I plink the R1 ammo through my G1 which is for all intent and purposes the same toy. Never had a problem with it (in saying that, it's not as if I've gone through thousands of rounds).
As I reluctantly recall from my Sub-Saharan days, it was more the SA ammo than the weapon. I also seem to recall the FN having a heavier barrel. Perhaps I got that Sierra backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigrunt View Post
M-A Lagrange:

If you have trouble getting your hands on the ammo, try to keep an eye open for the packaging, boxes, cases etc. Even just colours etc may perhaps give some clues.
Valid point going back to the Sergeant Major's link to the Small Arms Survey. The head stamp will identify the manufacturer's country of origin, but the packaging will identify many other things such as the original destination. Either way you are in for a ton of investigative work.

My best guess still resides with Kenya - Their historic love for the G3 (during that period of time twice as expensive as the AK) together with cheap and easy access to 7.62 NATO