Thread: "Israeli Robots Remake Battlefield"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So much of what current threats do is aimed at producing vivid imagery for mass psychological and political effect. For instance, IED attacks on small military elements or against civilian targets does not do much to reduce operational capabilities, but it allows the attacker to:
    • Show off to sympathizers
    • Attack the political will of intervening countries and hasten their departure from the conflict area
    • Attack the perception of host nation government legitimacy by creating the perception of government weakness and inability to provide security

Against these tactics, an unmanned system deprives the enemy of the opportunity to create the dramatic, emotional news stories and images. For specifically that reason, I think that the development of unmanned systems for land warfare functions, particularly operations in close, complex terrain such as populated places, is of the utmost importance. If a force can get into such terrain and forgo pulling the trigger in self-defense, accept damage or destruction of equipment, and use tactical patience to resolve a problem to that force's advantage (fewer noncombatant casualties), then the ramifications are bigger than tactical - they are at least operational.
    There are three kinds of people in this world:
    Those who can count, and those who can't.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Well as the Mid-East Editor of a UV magazine and having seen all the IDF UGVs first hand and close up, I'll merely add that...

a.) Not much is new in terms of concept
    b.) The "Guardium" UGV is operational NOW, for boarder patrol around Gaza and few "other" places, and apparently is "kicking Tuchas" - but I do remain a bit sceptical. - ask me 3 years from now.
    c.) The Platoon/Coy VIPER UGV is, when it works well extremely useful and the troops love it. Trials versions used during CAST LEAD were kidnapped, in an attempt to hold onto them, and all the Robots returned to the factory, came back with "names" painted on them.

Certainly in Irregular Warfare, I think UGVs may have a lot of potential, but there are some refinement that need to be made, before they really become mainstream.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition