Thread: Agreement to Print Somali Currency in Sudan

Default Agreement to Print Somali Currency in Sudan

Sudan and Somalia yesterday signed here an agreement to print the Somali currency in Sudan at amount of $17 million, in presence of the Minister of Finance Awad Ahmed Al-Jaz and the Governor of Central Bank of Sudan Dr. Sabir Mohammed Al- Hassan.
    The General Director of Sudan Currency Printing Press Mohammed Al-Hassan Al-Bahi signed for Sudan Government while the Somali Finance Minister Sharief Hassan Sheikh signed for his government.
    Dr. Al-Jaz affirmed the specialty and strength of historical relations between the two countries indicating that the printing of the currency can contribute in realizing stability and development in Somalia. He said that Sudan's experience in construction and reconstruction as a country emerging from conflicts can be a good experience for Somalia.
    On his part, the Somali Minister hailed Sudan's efforts in achieving peace saying that the presence of legal currency could contribute positively in the economy expressing his thanks to Sudan.
    Dr. Al-Jaz, who had met at his office the Somali delegation headed by the Finance Minister Sharief Sheikh Hassan, affirmed during the meeting Sudan's support to Somalia to realize stability and development saying that the problems facing the region's countries are due to the foreign interventions . He indicated to Somalia ability in construction and in achieving stability pointing out that Islam, Arab and African relations consolidate the bilateral relations.

From Sudan Vision.
    Interresting: a colapsing State agrees to print a non existing State currency.

Default and to think...

with all that foreign cash in Somalia, I would have just adopted the USD, UK Pound or Euro. It would save tons with the current exchange rates
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Council Member

Default Facades

Is the Somali Finance Minister Sharief Hassan Sheikh part of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG), the "government" that holds a few blocks in Mogadishu ?

In any event, these so-called "nation-states" have all the trappings of "Western-style" government - the charters and titles; but with no substance - facades.

What amazes is that they are treated as real states - the letter of the law over substance.

Regards

Mike

What are they using as a national emblem, the skull and crossbones? Or in the XXI cent would that be a skull over a crossed RPG-7 and AK-47?

Default Darn it, Van

Ya beat me to it

Well, since we've gone this far, what will be the national bird... ?

I was counting on a chicken, but I'm told Texas already has that one pegged, so we're down to a buzzard which should go nicely with the skull and crossbones

Mike, some ideas on the national anthem are in order

Council Member

Default National anthem ?

I know "My Country, 'tis of Thee" is a missed fit. Right now, I'm free of clever ideas.

I yield to Slap, who usually comes up with something appropriate.

Cheers

Mike

Council Member

For the national anthem, I would recommend an old classic from Metallica: Seek and Destroy

Default let's be serious please

Schmed,

200% with you on that one. But the full kill them all album would do the trick.

Concerning the particular issue of bank notes, I would go for "Money for Nothing".
    Mobutu had the habit to print each bank note twice. One for the common people and national market. One for his personal expenses on international market. Some bad tongues say Swiss Banks made good deal of money with him…
    I'll be surprised if the Somali and the Sudanese did not had the idea.

Concerning the flag, I'll rather go for a sheep skull with crossed Ak and RPG. Just because I like the local cuisine and have a taste for local folklore…

MA,
    Uncle Mo only managed to do that for a short period of time before we saw civil war and social upheavals. Then, having the aircraft do a pit stop at his home in Gbadolite was also a swift move - until it crashed

At that point the paper and ink were in fact 150 times the face value of the money - hence the term "not worth the paper it's printed on".

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Mobutu had the habit to print each bank note twice. One for the common people and national market. One for his personal expenses on international market.