Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
Well, IMO, it just goes to show the value of a PhD in business administration, which is, I believe, what Robertson has.
I wasn't aware of that, but it makes perfect sense. I think I know why he made this outrageous statement (aside from explanations of senility, arrogance, etc). If you are trying to get an audience of Christians to pony up cash (which is what he was doing - soliciting donations for Haiti), then the surest way to do it is to convince them that the people in need don't have a chance. For a Christian, that means conveying that the people haven't been exposed to God's word. You will get a lot more sympathy for someone who is clueless than someone who has been exposed to the Bible but chooses to ignore it. He was casting them as a group of people hopelessly lost, descendants of individuals who rejected God, unexposed to the Bible.

From a cold, calculating, business perspective, it was a shrewd thing to say. From a historically accurate viewpoint - (How does he know what the devil said in the alleged conversation? Does he have a transcript?) - probably not so much. From a PR standpoint, epic FAIL.