Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post
LOL - maybe that's why this type of discussion has practically disappeared from our grad student pub; the no smoking Gestapo !

I remember a year I spent one day reading Husserl's Crisis - man, he really needed to smoke! He kept painting himself into corners that he couldn't get out of! Too bad, for Husserl, that fuzzy-set theory hadn't been developed at the time he was writing .
Without condoning smoking (just say no kids!) I think you'reonto something there. I remember reading an Andrew Vaccss novel awhile ago where one of the characters actually defending his smoking with reference to the powers of fags (ciggies or cigaretes to non-Brits not the other kind!) in aiding concentration. When I was still at Uni, five or so years ago, they were bringing in the smoking ban in the student union and it really affected the marks (grades) I/we were given. OTOH, they brought that in to stem the smoking of Marijuana for which SOAS was famous and attracted students from all over London. I also recall the best discussion I had about Hegel (on the topic of Love) was in Yemen whilst smoking Yemen's indigenous Kamrans (foul but a snip at a 50 cents a packet) after which we switched to my shisha (and faroula/strawberry tobbacco followed by apple) after which the discussion really did get transcendental...