Quote Originally Posted by marct View Post

Tom, you were telling that story about the charcoal briquette idea and that got me to thinking about how it could be sustained. One possible way would be to use the tailings piles as the initial source while, at the same time, hitting up some of the environmentalist groups about tree planting. What I'm specifically thinking about is what's sometimes call "mixed" plantings of both long growth trees (aid in soil fixing and, later, selective, high value, harvesting) and very short growth trees that are pretty much "junk wood" (e.g. poplar). Use the latter for the raw material for charcoal after the tailings have been cleaned out. Obviously, needs work, but...
Hey Marc,
The Ukrainians actually took that several steps farther and now solely import to Estonia for bagging, sorting and weighing before sending over 5 sea vans each month directly to Sweden. Even the sawdust is reused by pressing fireplace blocks, etc.

I just don't see that much motivation coming from the Haitians though. Some here ponder over the Haitians being on the AID breast feeding plan way too long

Regards, Stan