For this discussion board, but I'll play along too since someone else started this.

As for dear Pat, he isn't senile and his views make perfect sense within the context of his overall theology and worldview. His theology embraces one of continuing revelation instead of a closed revelation, so in other words, through feelings, dreams, visions, unction or whatever, he can have a direct pipeline into the mind of God. Most Assembly of God, Pentecostal, Wesleyan and other so-called "holiness" churches are the same in their belief system.

I am a Christian and happen to vehemently disagree on not only theological but logical grounds (i.e., tests of consistency). It's a long story, could go into it much later via e-mail if anyone wishes. Long and short of it, the problem with Pat's view isn't that it is wrong, which it is. The problem is that it falls within the context of his world view, and that is the larger problem.

The rain falls on the just and the unjust. 'Nuff said on that.

As for the nature of religious belief, good grief! Really? For a discussion board? Really? Start with the study of epistemology, go to ontology and cosmology, and end with theology and soteriology and ethics.

I've had seminary training, but unless there are some Chaplains who frequent this board, I doubt many here have. This is a bridge too far for a discussion thread.

Just chuckle at Pat and wish the Marines well in Haiti. Pat no more knows that God caused this as a result of their wickedness than Danny Glover knows that it occurred as a result of global warming (and no, I'm an unbeliever in that).

Regards,

HPS