Thread: Four Lions

Default Four Lions

From the Department of Questionable Taste:
    Chris Morris's Four Lions: exclusive clip from the 'jihadist comedy'

Four Lions, the eagerly-awaited feature film debut from Brass Eye's Chris Morris, premieres at the Sundance film festival on Saturday. In this exclusive clip, we see how not to buy a dozen bottles of bomb-making bleach

guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 January 2010
    Chris Morris' FOUR LIONS Unleashed! First Images From The Terrorist Comedy!

Many people have asked us exactly what the Four Lions project is. Clearly we can't launch the film before its been shot, but I've pulled together a few paragraphs from the paperwork that's been flying around. Its shameless hype but its accurate - unlike almost everything you will have read in the press. No one who has read the script could disagree with a word here.
    In three years of research, Chris Morris has spoken to terrorism experts, imams, police, secret services and hundreds of Muslims. Even those who have trained and fought jihad report the frequency of farce. At training camps young jihadis argue about honey, cry for their mums, shoot each other's feet off, chase snakes and get thrown out for smoking. A minute into his martyrdom video, a would-be bomber looks puzzled and says "what was the question again?" On millennium eve, five jihadis set out to ram a US warship. They slipped their boat into the water and carefully stacked it with explosives. It sank.

Terrorist cells have the same group dynamics as stag parties and five a side football teams. There is conflict, friendship, misunderstanding and rivalry. Terrorism is about ideology, but it's also about berks.

Four Lions is a funny, thrilling fictional story that illuminates modern British jihad with an insight beyond anything else in our culture. It plunges us beyond seeing these young men as unfathomably alien. It undermines the folly of just wishing them away or alienating the entire culture from which they emerge. It understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous. As Spinal Tap understood heavy metal and Dr Strangelove the Cold War, Four Lions understands modern British jihadis.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
    From the Department of Questionable Taste:
    I thought it was quite funny, actually.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    I thought it was quite funny, actually.
    Don’t get me wrong, that clip is hilarious and I am looking forward to seeing this film. I am however, fully aware that my sense of humor is not always congruent with polite society.

Default I suppose it might be in poor tastes...

but most comedy is... laughed my arse off
    Hacksaw
    Say hello to my 2 x 4

The Case for Calling Them Nitwits, by Daniel Byman and Christine Fair. The Atlantic Monthly, July/August 2010.
    They blow each other up by mistake. They bungle even simple schemes. They get intimate with cows and donkeys. Our terrorist enemies trade on the perception that they’re well trained and religiously devout, but in fact, many are fools and perverts who are far less organized and sophisticated than we imagine. Can being more realistic about who our foes actually are help us stop the truly dangerous ones?