Thread: Leadership can be toxic (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    obviously, the poster maker printed it and knowing what passes for humor in airborne infantry units, I suspect the allegedly black soldier who inserted it in the slide packet though it was off the wall funny -- or, conversely, he could've wanted to get someone in trouble by doing exactly what 'they' told him to do (that, too is an old airborne attribute... ).

If what apparently occurred is the case -- and we still do not really know for sure -- the message is "Screw up tactically and you may get a bad OER; screw up politically and you WILL be relieved." That's not a message that should be sent.
    It occurs to me (with absolutely no evidence at all), however, that the slides might simply have been the powerpoint straw that broke the camel's back--and that there could have been a range of other issues also at play in the decision to relieve them.
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Thumbs up There usually are...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    It occurs to me (with absolutely no evidence at all), however, that the slides might simply have been the powerpoint straw that broke the camel's back--and that there could have been a range of other issues also at play in the decision to relieve them.
    The military justice system is often slammed for giving excessive sentences for minor offenses. That is usually the result of a long term miscreant who has successfully evaded punishment for months or years finally being nailed for something, no matter how petty, in order to make him or her pay for those other crimes...

Same principle here as you suggest. Could be little more than Boss X being annoyed or even harassed by Subordinate Y and finally being "rid of a meddlesome priest."

Could be a few more serious issues -- but I'd bet not, else there'd likely be a Court Martial...

Early days. We'll see.

I knew it was nothing tactical/combat command related. That would be the last thing anyone cared about.

The sad part is that if this was a unit that performed well, they are sans leadership because of an un-PC foul-up. Will the new CO be PC? You can bet your ass he will. Will he be tactically proficient in this conflict?

I sure hope so.
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    The military justice system is often slammed for giving excessive sentences for minor offenses. <...snip...> Could be a few more serious issues -- but I'd bet not, else there'd likely be a Court Martial...

Early days. We'll see.

Unless they actually prefer charges, there is very little LTC Jenio and the CSM can really do. They have to defend a negative, i.e. prove that something that didn't really happen didn't happen (or didn't happen as it was portrayed by a hasty investigation). The only real hope Jenio has is if they bring charges under Court Martial.

I hope they get attorneys well schooled on administrative law. Criminal law experts are great, and are successful in a court-martial situation, but have limited success when their client is being attacked by an OER.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    Likewise knowing nothing, I strongly concur. A popular CO, well liked and supported by his officers should be almost fire-proof, while the reverse is obviously true. It's a stupid slide, but it's not a sacking offence. IMO, it's a coffee-free stand up with the formation commander.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Well, between the random scuttlebut on the web and the wives club fighting amongst themselves with pitchforks on Ricks' blog, this is undoubtably something that has been stewing for a while....

Default Pitchforks are troublesome but the

Axe murderers are really sad...

Council Member

Default Another sacking

Unrelated to the 101st story is A-Stan...

Gates Tries to Get F-35 Program Back on Course
    Story

That study found that the development of the plane could be delayed by two and a half years and cost an extra $16.6 billion if no changes were made. Mr. Gates has also said that he replaced the head of the program, Maj. Gen. David R. Heinz of the Marine Corps, to show that officials would be held accountable “when things go wrong.”

Yes - seems to be a popular topic these days....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020203534.html

A military investigation into an ambush that left nine Americans dead recommends that the Army consider taking disciplinary action against three U.S. commanders who oversaw the 2008 mission to send troops to the remote Afghan outpost, defense officials said Tuesday.

Council Member

Wilf:

My Brit Pol/Mil colleague from Baghdad told me that the proper term was: Meeting without Coffee.

Has that changed?

Steve

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by Steve the Planner View Post
    Wilf:

My Brit Pol/Mil colleague from Baghdad told me that the proper term was: Meeting without Coffee.

Has that changed?
    He's right mate. "Without coffee" is correct. I obviously need to re-zero my jargon!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition