Context isn't everything, but it is very important, imo.

I know of a case that could have appeared similarly offensive if the context were not understood. A Mech Inf CO, who was white, had a gunner who was black. Being the CO's gunner is a demanding job. He frequently joked about the demands of his job, stating more than once that "the CO thinks I'm the damn Hotel November." By that, he meant "HN" which apparently is an acronym for "house nigger" meaning "house slave." After hearing this a few times, one of the guys in the CP who had some artistic skills drew a caricature of the gunner in 18th century slave attire and chains, and a caricature of the CO whipping him (along with the obligatory S&M overtones, since everything in the Army needs to have some sexual innuendo added to it). The gunner found this to be hilarious. The CO was mortified - likely envisioning his career going up in smoke like LTC Jenio's apparently has. I wonder what would have happened if that had been photographed and emailed to BN and put into the Cmd & Staff slides. Without understanding the context, I suspect there would have been an overreaction.