Quote Originally Posted by Stevely View Post
I can't see how they can cut the DND's budget much more without having to throw in the towel and shutter your military altogether?
That's happened before, unfortunately . I'm not sure what the thinking, if one can call it that, is on the future of our military. We have spent too much time acting as Peace Keepers and with a very limited number of combat troops. This, especially when coupled with the Afghanistan mission, has created a rather polarized, and weird, political image of what our troops should be doing. I'm afraid that Norfolk is probably correct in his assessment that the next government won't be Conservative - then again, the Dion carbon tax proposal may just be enough for the Tories to get back in in a minority situation.

Personally, I would like to see a multi-party discussion and debate over where we, as a nation, believe our military should go. The officer cuts mentioned by Norfolk are a good example, as is the elimination of many of the civilian employees. What are our priority missions? What are our contractual obligations? What do we actually need to fulfill them?