Thread: Any good guys left

Default Any good guys left

Are there any good honest leaders left in africa?

Are there any just causes left to fight for that are for the people?

Will africa ever have a leader that shines through and that the west will embrace?

I loved my limited time in Africa Rwanda and Zaire (Goma) in 1994 and would love to go back but i cannot find a cause worth defending

all the best
    max

Hey Max,
    Welcome Aboard !

Please take a few seconds here and introduce yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pol76 View Post
    I loved my limited time in Africa Rwanda and Zaire (Goma) in 1994 and would love to go back but i cannot find a cause worth defending
    We must have just missed each other in Sub-Sahara (I left the Rwandan border in July and Zaire in October of 94). I can't honestly say I would go back to Zaire although there's plenty of UN job openings for humanitarian demining in the DRC. I would however entertain a tour in Rwanda - probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in Africa (well, there were the nude beaches in Libreville too ).

Quote Originally Posted by pol76 View Post
    Are there any good honest leaders left in africa?

Are there any just causes left to fight for that are for the people?

Will africa ever have a leader that shines through and that the west will embrace?
    That's a hard one ! Check out Marian Tupy's analysis and "Dead Aid" at the Cato Institute for some good indicators and articles.

Also noteworthy - 2009 was the first year the Mo Ibrahim Prize was not awarded to an African Leader.

Leaders who won't let go

Yet the past year has seen a worrisome trend nonetheless, a move of African leaders to change constitutions to extend their time in power, or to hand power down dynastically to members of their own family.

In general, a number of leaders have learned how to preserve the symbols of democracy without following the spirit of democracy, all in order to stay in power.
    Sound familiar ?

Regards, Stan
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Wink

Thanks Stan for the fast reply

I thought Rwanda was great but I enjoyed the danger side of Zaire also the night clubs seemed more fun

I will have a look at the CATO reports and I was aware of the MO award not being given out but oh how they tried to fit square pegs in to round holes but alas failed

I have been to a few other african nations but not for longer that a week I just enjoy the freedom and the wild west feel to the place at times

I was born in the wrong era I would have liked the 60s and 70s post indy africa Congo or Biafra for the adventure and a just cause to support

all the best

max

Hey Max

like Stan, I probably crossed paths with you in Goma and perhaps Rwanda. The problem with African governmental development is that it remains tied to the "great man" rather than a system of government. I remain hopeful that Rwanda and Paul Kagame will break that trend.

Welcome,

Tom

Max:

I don't know about "causes" but I know you can do some still do some good for individuals.

This is a link to a organization called StandProud.

http://www.standproud.org/

It was started by a USAID guy and when I was there it was just him and one other person as far as ex-pats went. They work to help polio victims and it is quite inspirational.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Default Ellen Johnson Sirleaf may be an exception

She seems, from the limited information I have available about her personally, to have her heart in the right place. In Liberia she is of course surrounded by large-scale corruption , patronage networks, etc.