Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
To clarify, yes release was approved; but there was much about how the story was gathered and shaped that was not above board and professional. Likewise the story it tells is not accurate. They had an opportunity to tell a sensational story about what has become the pride of the ANA and a very competent, self-suffienct SOF unit. Instead they shaped their focus to tell a sensationalized story. Judging by the commnets above, one that most are quite happy to take the baited hook and run with. That's too bad, because winning the war of perception is everything in COIN.
Having discussed this, I'd agree with you on 60 Minutes dropping the ball big time and publishing junk. They could have followed my Platoon around for a few months and taken all the bad moments to make a story like that (the usual #### that happens to all deployed units); doing so meant missing the real nuts and bolts of the COIN battle that is being fought right now and actually, at least to me, could be an interesting story to tell.