I watched the video. While I wish that there had been some structure that portrayed the effort to develop the Afghan Commando, the video did relate how challenging this mission is. That this SF unit is somewhat optimistic about the AN Commando unit's prospects and determined to see it through speaks well for their training and selection.

Some thoughts:

The FSF unit in question is supposed to become relatively elite by Afghanistan standards. Given what you can draw on their performance (the ND that resulted in the fratricide and the follow on ND) they have a long way to go to get to a standard that they can perform their tasks adequately. While this raises some issues about what the assessment criteria for these future commandos may be, it does not change that the difficulty of the mission for the ODA. That they are able to perform it at all says a great deal both about our (U.S.) capabilities and willingness.

While video shows the result of the warning shots, it probably does not tell all. We don't know what the threat was, all we know is that it was an operation and he was establishing a blocking position I believe with one other Afghan commando. He stated he fired 2 warning shots into the road in front of the oncoming truck. I suppose he selected that aim point as to give a visual signature where the driver (watching the road) would probably best see it. Allot of guys I know in similar conditions would not have fired any warning shots - most of the FSF I've met at that level of development would very well have unloaded a belt of PKC - especially if the likelihood was they were related to the enemy, an enemy who may very well have been handing them their lunch for some time.

In my view the SF soldier showed restraint and set a good example. Further when the 2 boys were wounded, treating their injuries would appear to have become a priority - I believe it would have been regardless of if the cameras were there or not. My guess is there was still a threat, and bringing in a MEDEVAC bird can be a risky event. But he did it, and in the process showed how U.S. forces take responsibility for their actions, and again set an example for the FSF unit.

If ISAF wants a detailed look at what it takes to generate, employ and sustain the ANSF to a point where they can carry the load on their own, then they need to make an offer to a news network that produces an objective look at the subject. My guess is the 60 minutes crew negotiated a deal that they thought would boost their ratings. Looking over the average comments on the piece on the 60 minutes site, there is some good and some not so good. While the piece may not be as we want it, it does show American soldiers as dedicated, optimistic, willing to endure wounds and return to the same ANSF unit. Given how things sometimes go down in the real world, I'd say it is good to at least give the 99 + % of Americans who do not serve some idea of how hard it is to do this job.

Best, Rob